Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
General Newb question about video setup
Bob Mc [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 24, 2009 20:50 Messages: 39 Offline
[Post New]
Hello all, I'm a bit of a newb when it comes to video editing so Im wanting to get some thoughts and opinions on this topic. Sorry if this isn't the right fourm, feel free to direct me to the correct location, if not.

I've been recording my son's football games, mostly for the coach's purposes, which has helped, however as the season is winding down and I'd like to put together a highlight video for the team. I've never really done anything like this so I don't want it to look just thrown together. I've a few issue with PD8 trial in the past that several folks here have already help me through so I'm so I feel good about using PD8, btw, i'm using the full version now.

As I'm going through the game footage I've been grouping the passing, running, and defensive plays altogether by each game, but I'm wondering if that's to organized should I mix things up a bit, should it be a bit more all over the board, differnt plays from differnt games etc. Also what about transitions, should I have some, none, alot, etc. I'm sure most of this is personal preference but I just thought if I could get some opinions from the experts out there I could try and incorporate that into this and it won't have the look and feel that a lot of us Newbie add in or leave out.

I do have music that I will be using, I do planing on using some of the effects features, mostly focus, I do plan on using some slow motion, and for those big hits adding double or triple scenes to mutiple the hit.

Thanks in advance..
Bob PD15
Dell Studio XPS 9100 Desktop
Win 10 x64
32Gb Memory
Intel i7 CPU 930 @ 2.80GHz Quad Core
ATI Radeon HD 5670 -1Gb Mem
DOUG [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Katy, Texas Joined: Oct 08, 2009 12:26 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
I would do them by the game, starting with the start of the season, that way you can see the kids progress during the season, there is a real good highlight clip that Cranston put together (tutorial) on how to do that. I am in the same boat as you, just starting out and learning a little each day.
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
What is the purpose of the video? If it is just something fun for them to watch, then I would mix it up some. It is Ok to have like plays grouped together, but if it is too organized it will get boring quickly. If it is more something for them to learn from, like a progression of how they got better, or worse, over the course of a year, then grouping it by game may be a better choice.

As for transitions, I would not use any unless you are changing pace or ideas suddenly. Maybe you have a lot of short, fast clips, but you want to play the introduction to the play-offs, for example. Have a short pause of black as they fade together. Otherwise, I think it will be too distracting for the most part. Try about 10 minutes both ways and see what you think. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
BradyB
Senior Member Location: Springfield, Illinois USA Joined: Feb 24, 2007 07:38 Messages: 153 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Bob,

Grouping the passing, running and defensive plays sounds like a really cool idea, but a whole lot of work for an entire season. Your target audience is probably most interested in seeing themselves. While watching your video, they will probably be thinking "Where am I?", rather than "Hey, isn't it neat that all the pass plays are grouped together".

However you decide to group them (by play or by game) you may think about putting a 1 second Fade transition between each video segment within the group, then a more elaborate 2 second transition between groups. A couple of my favorites are Fire, Grand Opening and Broken Glass.

After a great tackle, you might use the Power Tools to play the tackle clip again in reverse. You can also use Power Tools to speed up a segment and produce kind of a funny Charlie Chaplin look.

If you have some video from practice sessions early in the season, you might lead off your video with a few seconds of practice and apply the Old Movie effect from the Effects room. This will help produce a "remember where it all started" nostalgic feeling.

If you have a segment on bloopers, you could use some of the Dialog Balloons in the Title Room to say "Oops!" of something.

Good luck. You can't hardly go wrong; you are giving people a video of their favorite subject, themselves.

Hope this is helpful.
Brady
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
... I'm glad you chimed in BradyB, being our most seasoned recorder and editor of football games.

I promise you, Bob, you can tke BradyB's word for it.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
That's some good advice from BradyB. I would use that myself. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
Bob Mc [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 24, 2009 20:50 Messages: 39 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for the advice!

BTW, if you have any song suggestion feel free to chime in, no pund intended..

What I had planned on incorporated is listed below, obviously I'll not get them all in, and I don't want to over load it but if anyone thinks of something new or different feel free to reply. Again thanks for the suggests, it will really help, oh if anyone has a video that's out there I'd love to get some visual ideas too, promise I won't use any copyrighted material..

Crawling In The Dark - Hoobastank
Drowning Pool, "Bodies"
Remember the Name (Fort Minor) - Clean Version
Thunderstruck" - AC/DC
Here Comes the Boom" by Nelly

Thanks,
Bob PD15
Dell Studio XPS 9100 Desktop
Win 10 x64
32Gb Memory
Intel i7 CPU 930 @ 2.80GHz Quad Core
ATI Radeon HD 5670 -1Gb Mem
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Bob -

There's a pretty good list here http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/pid/7491631/a/Ultimate+Sports+Album.htm

If you want some short punchy non-copyrighted music (instrumental), have a look at http://freeplaymusic.com/search/keyword_search.php

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!