Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Uninstall process?
Davidk101
Senior Member Location: Brisbane Australia Joined: Jun 24, 2020 02:38 Messages: 172 Offline
[Post New]
Some of PD's competitors include an install and uninstall process in their user guide, even tho in at least one case, "follow the prompts" is woefully short of what is required to install or uninstall the editor.

PD has no such information is it's user guide: the document starts with an assumption the software is already installed. Removal/un-install just isn't addressed.
The email invoice for the software purchase has install instructions, which are basically, install the essential executable first, and then the content files in any order.
But is there any un-install procedure - anywhere??
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
There's really nothing to document.

PD is treated like a standard Windows app and can be uninstalled by using the standard Windows uninstall tool (Right-click on Start > Apps & features). If you have the subscription version, you can also do this from the App Manager by right-clicking on the app name.

Content packs can be uninstalled the same way, and can be done independently of the main app. Most start with the word Cyberlink so they'll be grouped together in the list of installed apps.
Ronald1234 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 30, 2014 14:42 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Quote There's really nothing to document.

PD is treated like a standard Windows app and can be uninstalled by using the standard Windows uninstall tool (Right-click on Start > Apps & features). If you have the subscription version, you can also do this from the App Manager by right-clicking on the app name.

Content packs can be uninstalled the same way, and can be done independently of the main app. Most start with the word Cyberlink so they'll be grouped together in the list of installed apps.

This is not true. After the unistallation powerdirector leaves a large footprint of folders and files in several places. It is best to search your computer for files and folders using 'cyberlink' and 'powerdirector' as keywords. Also beware powerdirector takes control of several aspects that conflict with other media editing and viewer programs on your computer, including windows system files, and once the excess folders and files are deleted, those other programs will not work properly. Everytime I uninstall powerdirector I have to do a clean install of win 10 and reload all my other programs from scratch. Beware of computer programs that 'take control' of your computer, rather than a user deciding what they want their computers to do.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote This is not true. After the unistallation powerdirector leaves a large footprint of folders and files in several places. It is best to search your computer for files and folders using 'cyberlink' and 'powerdirector' as keywords. Also beware powerdirector takes control of several aspects that conflict with other media editing and viewer programs on your computer, including windows system files, and once the excess folders and files are deleted, those other programs will not work properly. Everytime I uninstall powerdirector I have to do a clean install of win 10 and reload all my other programs from scratch. Beware of computer programs that 'take control' of your computer, rather than a user deciding what they want their computers to do.

Thanks for posting this.

You bring up some good points, and I'd like to state that my response was specifically to Davidk101 who's become an avid forum participant. I didn't imagine that he was going to uninstall PD and go away, and so I focused on uninstalling the app with the (possibly incorrect) assumption that he would be reinstalling it.

To do a complete uninstall, you also have to remove all of the related content and 3rd party effects packs shown in Windows Apps & features tool to free up all that additional drive space; however their continued presence shouldn't interfere with any other installed apps.

I don't recall having issues with other programs after removing PD, but a free app like Revo Uninstaller Pro can track down all related folders and registry entries so they can be deleted. Doing a clean Win10 install will also do the trick, but it seems like a fairly drastic first step to me.
Ronald1234 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 30, 2014 14:42 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]

Thanks for posting this.

You bring up some good points, and I'd like to state that my response was specifically to Davidk101 who's become an avid forum participant. I didn't imagine that he was going to uninstall PD and go away, and so I focused on uninstalling the app with the (possibly incorrect) assumption that he would be reinstalling it.

To do a complete uninstall, you also have to remove all of the related content and 3rd party effects packs shown in Windows Apps & features tool to free up all that additional drive space; however their continued presence shouldn't interfere with any other installed apps.

I don't recall having issues with other programs after removing PD, but a free app like Revo Uninstaller Pro can track down all related folders and registry entries so they can be deleted. Doing a clean Win10 install will also do the trick, but it seems like a fairly drastic first step to me.

Hi, I agree, it IS drastic. However that is the only safe & reliable way to remove items when a user is not given full information or choices about where files and folders are placed, which system files are affected, or whether those are hidden or what those things are called. I don't think I should have to rely on a different 'free' 'pro' program when it is cyberlink that litters my rig. And lest you think it is only cyberlink - many other softwares do this, all the more reason for periodic fresh win installs to keep my computer running fast. Storing all of your data files on other drives or in the cloud, and using an ssd c drive for windows and your softwares, a fresh install is relatively quick albiet a necessary annoyance. I've been using powerdirector since about version 9, and I find every year, in the effort to provide more options, along with that comes tons of clutter, and I think the 365 version has gone way overboard. Off the soapbox, thank you for listening.
Davidk101
Senior Member Location: Brisbane Australia Joined: Jun 24, 2020 02:38 Messages: 172 Offline
[Post New]
No Opto, I don't plan to un-install PD.
The reason I asked about an uninstall process for PD is because an editor I used for years also leaves fingerprints everywhere. With that editor, the uninstall process that worked with corrupted things including registry entries was:
1. do a windows uninstall. This is the only step the manual prescribed, and it turned out in practice to be - as I said initially in this post - woefully inadequate because of all the fingerprints remaining in the system. The windows process simply runs the uninstall log, and application vendors are notoriously slack in creating entries for this: they are much more motivated to get their product installed, than in ways to remove it.

The extra steps that I and others found essential for uninstall of that other editor are, in sequence
2. run the program clean-up tool - the one the developers use to get a usable PC back when testing beta code that's crashed and burned. It took a bit of persuasion from them to release that initially, but there wasn't any other way short of a complete system re-build - not something anyone does without a lot of motivation. And the tool brute force removes the install msi files, all the add-on plug-ins etc, and creates a log file for review later.
3. delete all the program files and folders using windows explorer.
4. run a PC and regstry cleaner like Cclean - first to remove the temporary and deleted files, and then to do a registry clean - to match the registry to what is actually on the stortage drives. Consider this as a method of mtaching the index to the contents of a book: if the index (the registry) says a topic should be on a specific page (storage location), check that it is, log those that are not. And then remove the broken links. Even after the first 3 steps, this cleaner check usually found several hundred broken entries in the displayed log. Fix them all.

And even after all that, over 7 years of software use,upgrades and deleted versions, there were still nearly 1000 registry entries (keys, and data for keys) for that editor found in the registry using a scanning program like Regscanner. That sort of behaviour really screwed my migration to windows10 4 months ago; I spent 6 months unsuccessfully trying to solve it, eventually gave it up: and it's the single major reason I changed to using PD18.

So, having learned a fair bit about PD, and no doubt a lot still to learn, and with a new version out, it was time to ask the uninstall question. And the answers I've gotten so far suggest that PD is like that other editor I left behind; fingerprints everywhere, needing a good uninstall process and tools to get it done properly. Without having to re-build a PC just to do it. And it looks like Cyberlink hasn't addressed the issue . . . . .

Postscript edit
As an indicator of the size of there registry "problem", I have only PD18 ultimate installed on the PC, using a custom location for the application files. Running a registry scan with RegScanner.exe, using a text string of "PowerDirector" a the search key, there were 7,867 entries found.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Oct 28. 2020 19:13