Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
GoPro Cineform videos with Alpha Cause Errors
Militis [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 17, 2014 00:45 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
I have a clip I created in DaVinci Resolve to use as a lower third with transparency. I exported it from another program with the following settings:

• QuickTime

• GoPro CineForm Codec

• RGB 16-bit type - 1080p with an Alpha (Transparency), with Alpha Mode of Straight

The resulting file is a .MOV file.

When I pull the .MOV file into PowerDirector 19, put it in my timeline, and try to check the clip to see my transparent lower third, I get an error with the video clip.

Is there a Codec or plugin I can download for PowerDirector 19 so I can properly use this video file in my project?
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Check to see if you have Apple Quicktime installed on this pc. That would be necessary to import transparent mov files.
Militis [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Check to see if you have Apple Quicktime installed on this pc. That would be necessary to import transparent mov files.

I reinstalled QuickTime and gave it another go. PowerDirector 19 still threw an Audio error, so I removed the audio portion of that clip. That allows the clip to play, but it doesn't honor the transparency, and instead makes the whole screen (minus the animation I'm trying to show) black until the clip ends.

I know the clip works fine as an animated overlay in DaVinci Resolve, but I've already edited a full project in PowerDirector 19 and would love to just be able to import this as a source and use it
Militis [Avatar]
[Post New]
I ended up re-rendering my animation as an MP4 with a green background then applied a chroma key. That got me what I wanted!
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I have a clip I created in DaVinci Resolve to use as a lower third with transparency. I exported it from another program with the following settings:

• QuickTime

• GoPro CineForm Codec

• RGB 16-bit type - 1080p with an Alpha (Transparency), with Alpha Mode of Straight

The resulting file is a .MOV file.

When I pull the .MOV file into PowerDirector 19, put it in my timeline, and try to check the clip to see my transparent lower third, I get an error with the video clip.

Is there a Codec or plugin I can download for PowerDirector 19 so I can properly use this video file in my project?

Further research done. It does seem that the GoPro CineForm Codec has to be installed first in Windows 10. It is unsupported by both GoPro and by Apple Quicktime even on the macs according to the GoPro forum: https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Apps-for-Desktop/How-to-install-GoPro-Cineform-codec-on-windows-10/td-p/216172 . A different codec needs to be used if you want file compatibility.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 10. 2020 12:14