Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Old Video Projects In PD 19
prevaljo [Avatar]
Member Joined: Oct 01, 2017 22:19 Messages: 105 Offline
[Post New]
I have a collection of short as in 30-90 second clips of my granddaughter which I have been compiling into an annual video for Xmas. Sentimental I know. I built the project initially in PD18 where it diplays the usual behaviour, on the timeline you can see the clips and transitions. I opened the project in PD19 it opens OK, previews OK, however the timeline does not show the individual clips and transitions it is simply a grey bar extending for the duration of the video with the first frame at the beginning.

This is obviously by design as I remember references to projects created in PD19 being unusable in PD18, just unexpected the other way around. It's easy enough to recreate as it's only a short video so I am not concerned just faintly amused.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
That actually sounds like you have continuous thumbnails turned off and are looking at a zoomed in version of just one clip rather than seeing the entire timeline. Click on the white "-" circle at the far bottom left or use the number keypad "-" to zoom out.

If you still don't see the individual clips, please take a screenshot, save it as a PNG or JPG and use the Attachments button below the forum's text box to share it here.

Also, you're right that once you create or save a project in PD19, you cannot open it in PD18. However, PD19 should be able to open older projects with few or no changes needed.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Sep 26. 2020 17:34

prevaljo [Avatar]
Member Joined: Oct 01, 2017 22:19 Messages: 105 Offline
[Post New]
I love new software. The short project I opened initially in PD19 from the menu "File/Recent Projects". It looked and felt exactly as it should have. Subsequently as I was exploring PD19 I opened the "Express Projects" menu, and found the project listed there, so I opened it from there, this is the view that gives me the grey bar. Opening the project from "File/Recent Projects" is OK.

Just not expected behaviour as I didn't know that would be the case.
[Thumb - Screenshot 2020-09-27 112148.png]
 Filename
Screenshot 2020-09-27 112148.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
26 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
8 time(s)
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for the screenshot and the additional description. The Express Project feature was actually introduced way back in PD14 although the new Project Room location icon was just added in PD19

As mentioned in the linked article above, Express Projects are a way of importing an entire project as a single, top-level "clip" that can easily be used in other projects. The imported project is visibly identified by the ͏ pds ͏ logo at the leading edge, and you can double-click on it if you want to expand the project and see (or make changes to) the specific clips within.

Please note that any changes you make to this copy will not affect the original project, so if you do want to make permanent changes you should open the original project directly to edit it.