Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Iphone video- camera digital zoom or zoom in post
BadWolf [Avatar]
Member Joined: Sep 10, 2015 09:45 Messages: 126 Offline
[Post New]
Which would provide better picture quality , recording on my iPhone XR with the digital zoom on..or record normally and use PD to zoom (crop)?
Warry [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: The Netherlands Joined: Oct 13, 2014 11:42 Messages: 853 Offline
[Post New]
Using the highest quaility source (on iPhone) and cropping with PD will give you a bit more flexibility and potentially better results. Since during editing you can change the amount of cropping or undo and change (enhance) the source material, which cannot be done with the already cropped source material.
(It may also depend on the subject and the amount of cropping, the light available. What also comes into play is the quality of recording and required quality of final output.)
Best thing is to do a brief test with the two options to see what suits you best.

(And when you have done that, maybe you can share here, so that we all can learn?)
Lilaiphone20 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 19, 2020 12:36 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
I have done both and although I haven't done a side to side comparison, there doesn't seem to be much of a difference in image quality. I tend to favor zooming in though since I can be sure that focus and exposure is calibrated accordingly. Downside is that these's less image stabilization compared to cropping where you can remove jitter.