Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
CODEC "required" - PD 14
JimPerry [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 12, 2018 18:11 Messages: 20 Offline
[Post New]
I have been using PD for several years. I had to have a new hard drive and Windows system installed, and since then, after producing a video using H.265 HVEC I get the message that I need a new codec, that the file format is not supported. It is asking me to buy one from the Microsoft store (only $0.99) but I never had to do this before. The icon of the movie is also a generic icon, not what I used to see. What gives?

I find that my movie will play with VLC Media Playe, but I need to open VLC first, and then open the movie file. I would like to be able to simply click on the movie file.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
At one time you had to pay to use the mpeg-2 and hevc codecs from Microsoft and still do. You can save that 99 cents. See this article to get one for free: https://www.howtogeek.com/680690/how-to-install-free-hevc-codecs-on-windows-10-for-h.265-video/ .