Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDVD won't play any media
davitof [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 09, 2020 05:51 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
Each time I load PowerDVD, I get an error in OLRSubmission.exe

Then, when I try to use a media in PowerDVD, PowerDVD juas hangs. I checked with a mp3 (audio), mp4, avi, mkv, ts, I always get the same result.

Any suggestion? Does PowerDVD hang because of the OLRSubmission error? Or are these separate issues?
[Thumb - PowerDVD20 2020-09-10 224700.PNG]
 Filename
PowerDVD20 2020-09-10 224700.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
7 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
6 time(s)
Forum Moderator [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2018 01:01 Messages: 578 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,

As discussed in the other thread, there really seems to be some issues with your Windows install, and previous installs of other programs. Also, because the error you are getting is related to the ACPI BIOS it could be an actual motherboard (embedded in the laptop or PC) issue that needs investigation on hardware side.

You should really sort that out first. A clean Windows install should also not be ruled out.

Cheers
PowerDVD Moderator Please direct any sales or technical issues to CyberLink's customer support team:

Sales or installation related issues:
https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do

Software technical issues:
https://membership.cyberlink.com/sup
davitof [Avatar]
[Post New]
The only Windows issue I am experiencing is with PowerDVD. I never had any BSOD with any software I have been installing / using on this machine. I have been using this laptop for work for almost 4 months. I am a software developer. As you can imagine, as I always do when I get a new machine, I installed quite a few software, some commercial, some open source, some well-developed, some not so well, the only time I got a BSOD is when installing PowerDVD. Currently, according to Windows, the list of installed software is around 135 lines. A part of it is Dell or Windows components, but there are quite a few others. I have been using my laptop to develop software, browse the internet using 2 different browsers, listen to music, view videos and DVDs using 2 different softwares (although obviously not using PowerDVD), view and edit photos... I have plugged and unplugged the power at different stages, let my laptop go out of battery or on the contrary let it run on power adapter for days... Never have I had any issue, especially not BSODs.

The only previous software I apparently had issues with was PowerDVD version 19, but this is still an issue with CyberLink, isn't it? It is CyberLink's responsibility to ensure that installing a new version over an old one does not trigger unwanted (to say the least) effects. If the problem is that PowerDVD 19 was not correctly uninstalled, then please give me the means to uninstall it properly.

Dramatic manipulations such as reinstalling Windows are obviously not on my list. This machine is primarily for work, viewing DVDs is a bonus. Reinstalling Windows is a risk (and a lot of work). I am not going to risk the primary function (work), which is currently perfectly working, for the bonus. Rather, I will ask CyberLink to refund me, which I am still entitled to.

I have spent already hours and hours on this issue which should have been so simple, which is so simple with other software. I'll try a few more days. If I can't make it work before the end of the refund period, I'll ask for the refund. If some issue in my machine (ACPI or poor uninstall procedure) is indeed the cause of this, then I'll forget about PowerDVD and try some other software. Obviously, most of the software available are able to run without issues, and I can forget about the so-called ACPI problem since it never has any effect.

BTW, how come PowerDVD 19 never triggered BSODs? Why can't PowerDVD 20 be as tolerant as the previous version?
davitof [Avatar]
[Post New]
Using suggestions from the previous thread, I managed to install the patch without any glitch. The trick was to reset BIOS settings which I had indeed altered. I had edited some settings related to charging periods. I guess under the scenes those settings have an impact in ACPI.
davitof [Avatar]
[Post New]
I checked YouTube and Vimeo, same result: i get the throbber, which suddenly stops and then I get a message from WIndows telling me PowerDVD has stopped responding.

With a DVD, the story is slightly different: I hit the play button on my DVD drive, and no video/sound appears. The buttons at the bottom are still reactive (I can open menus and so on), but no duration is displayed, nothing moves.
[Thumb - PowerDVD-DVD.PNG]
 Filename
PowerDVD-DVD.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
15 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
1 time(s)
[Thumb - PowerDVD20 2020-09-11 202300.PNG]
 Filename
PowerDVD20 2020-09-11 202300.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
17 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
2 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 13. 2020 16:02

davitof [Avatar]
[Post New]
I got an answer from support. I'll try their suggestion and then I'll report back.
davitof [Avatar]
[Post New]
For the record, the support's suggestion was uninstall, remove manually traces, reboot and reinstall (this is much simplified, their actual procedure was quite detailed). I did it, twice, but with no change in the outcome, although it removed one error message I had each time I loaded PowerDVD. I am currently waiting for support's next suggestion.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 15. 2020 13:52

davitof [Avatar]
[Post New]
Support's second suggestion was clear the YouTube cache and reboot. Same results. But the OLRSubmission dialog has reappeared.