Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Monitors
MrBluz [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 18, 2013 15:39 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
I am trying to decide what monitor to get which would be good for video editing. I understand that 4k is the new standard. In searching for a 4k I've noticed that a 4k monitor is higher priced over a 4k tv. I'm sure there is a good reason I would not want to get a 32" 4k tv over and dedicated monitor but can't figure out what that might be. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated and any recommendations on a brand & model would be helpful. Also any input on curved vs flat.Thank you in advance.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 04. 2020 16:18

Fat Drunk & Stupid Is No Way To Go Through Life Son!!!!
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I am trying to decide what monitor to get which would be good for video editing. I understand that 4k is the new standard. In searching for a 4k I've noticed that a 4k monitor is higher priced over a 4k tv. I'm sure there is a good reason I would not want to get a 32" 4k tv over and dedicated monitor but can't figure out what that might be. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated and any recommendations on a brand & model would be helpful. Also any input on curved vs flat.Thank you in advance.

4K TV's typically much slower response than 4K Monitors, important feature depending on real intended use.

Might want to review why you want a 4K monitor for editing, PD18 simply can't playback timeline content fluently in UHD. Maybe upcoming PD19/365 will support fluent playback, however, I doubt it. Maybe lots of other reasons for 4K monitor, but PD18 timeline editing and playback might not be one of them if that's your prime reason.

Jeff
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I'll add that you might want to stay away from "gaming" monitors, whose main focus is getting lots of pixels in front of you but not necessarily with the kind of quality you'd want to see when working with video.

I recently switched from two 27" Samsung HD monitors to a 5K/4K HDR combo.

If you're interested, the 5K is an LG 34WK95U-W 34"UltraWide 5K Nano IPS LED Monitor, while the 4K is an LG 27UK850-W 27" 4K UHD IPS Monitor. The 5K requires a DisplayPort connector and a powerful GPU to run at 5120x2160, while the 4K can run on USB-C, HDMI, DisplayPort and just the embedded iGPU in Intel CPUs.

I also tried out the huge LG 49WL95C-W 49-Inch Curved 32: 9 Ultrawide Dqhd IPS with HDR10 monitor. It was amazing to sit in front of and the curve really helped keep everything at the same distance, but using it with PD wasn't practical.

The problem is that PD always starts full screen and I didn't need all that screenspace for editing. The Display Fusion app and macros I used to automatically resize it couldn't do anything about the poor alignment of the interal windows, and it was also hard to watch a full screen video since it always had very wide, blank edges. Also the vertical resolution was only 1440 so it couldn't display true 4K (3840x2160).

For me, these two monitors do everything I need.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
In the reviews I have always read about the slow response of 4K TV hdmi inputs when connected to a pc. They usually have a dedicated input for the pc. I use one for my HTPC and know that it is good enough for my purposes as I use a separate 2K pc monitor for editing.

There are millions of Xboxes and Playstations sold that are connected to 4k TV’s and most users are happy with their game controller responses. I believe that for serious gaming you need that high end pc with that high pc monitor refresh rate.
Oliverz [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jul 01, 2020 07:32 Messages: 136 Offline
[Post New]
As far as I am informed, the LG 49WL95C-W 49-Inch Curved 32: 9 Ultrawide Dqh can be operated as if it were 2 x 27-inch monitors. This should solve the aforementioned display problem, but you have the advantage of the curved display? Liebe Grüße / Regards
Oliver
Maliek [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: San Antonio, Texas USA Joined: Nov 10, 2012 12:01 Messages: 851 Offline
[Post New]
IMHO the refresh rate and display port input for monitors create a better editing experience than a 4K TV. The higher refresh rate and display port input allow for reduced lag, ghosting and motion blur. I have a Samsung 49" curved display. Cost a bunch but it is the best monitor I've ever owned. Basically it is like having two 27" monitors in one display. Subscribe to PowerDirector University on YouTube.

Subscribe to PDU Mobile on YouTube.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote The higher refresh rate and display port input allow for reduced lag, ghosting and motion blur. I have a Samsung 49" curved display.

Must of been a line from the advertisement and maybe not PD18 experience? Very true for gaming as one can easily pump out 100+fps which needs the higher refresh rate to prevent display issues. I'd venture to guess most consumer video editing especially that done and produced in PD is nothing near 100+fps, more like 60fps max. 240fps slo motion does not count as you are playing back at 30 or 60fps for effect. Hence a 120Hz refresh rate will provide no visible benefit to video editing playback quality or experience in PD18.

Maybe PD19 will bring such capability, however, I seriously doubt PD will revamp timeline editing playback in the next release to actually support more than current 60fps playback, let alone fluently. The last UHD support capability was a absolute train wreck for any real fluent editing functionality.

Again, many valid needs for such displays, but to fit OP "would be good for video editing", about any basic monitor meets those needs so OP choice needs to be on other features important to them.

Jeff
MrBluz [Avatar]
[Post New]
If I did go with the Samsung 49" curved will my video card be able to handle it? It is a NVidea MX150 in a laptop

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 05. 2020 13:16

Fat Drunk & Stupid Is No Way To Go Through Life Son!!!!
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I don't think so. The MX150 is a weak GPU and doesn't have the hardware encoder (NVENC) that PD requires, so there is no benefit when editing videos.

You should check with your laptop's support website as discussed in this article that shows the MX250 can only support 4096x2160 at a very low 24Hz in a ThinkPad 490T when using HDMI.
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
The MX150 uses the same GP108 chipset used in the GT1030. See this article: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-mx150.c2959 . The second paragraph states “This device has no display connectivity, as it is not designed to have monitors connected to it. Rather it is intended for use in laptop/notebooks and will use the output of the host mobile device.” Apparently there may be a hdmi output connector on the laptop. Best to consult the laptop users manual for this information..
MrBluz [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote The MX150 uses the same GP108 chipset used in the GT1030. See this article: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-mx150.c2959 . The second paragraph states “This device has no display connectivity, as it is not designed to have monitors connected to it. Rather it is intended for use in laptop/notebooks and will use the output of the host mobile device.” Apparently there may be a hdmi output connector on the laptop. Best to consult the laptop users manual for this information..

So am I to beleive if I'm using a laptop with a video card the video card properties only apply to the laptop display and nothing that I plug into it? At this point I am better off getting an inexpensive HD monitor to get me through till I pull the plug and get a desktop that can handle video editing with a good video card in it then spend the money on a good monitor or two.

Thank you everyone for all your input it helps tremendoulsy(and creates a few more questions...lol). Fat Drunk & Stupid Is No Way To Go Through Life Son!!!!
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote So am I to beleive if I'm using a laptop with a video card the video card properties only apply to the laptop display and nothing that I plug into it?

MrBluz - There is a question that only you can answer. Does this laptop have an external connector to connect to an external monitor? If so then which one...HDMI? Or Display port?

There were no brand, model number, DxDiag.txt, or any info at the beginning that you were using a laptop. That is why only you can know as you would have the instruction manual for it.

There is an easy way to find out. If there is an external connector on the laptop then just connect it to your present TV to find out if it works...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 07. 2020 12:08