Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Voice over problem
M. Yalcin [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 12, 2019 08:45 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
I am using PowerDirector 16 since 2018 and I am happy with it.
But I have some problems with voice over.

1. when recording I have to set the volume to the max. Otherwise it is very quite

2. After dragging the narration to the voice over track, it is still so quite that I have to increase the volume by 6 dB.

It's not the convenient way. But I can live with these two problems. The third one makes me very unhappy.

3. After editing I realize, that at some points the narration is louder than recorded. Especially at the beginning of the narration clip. I have the feeling, that a naughty boy (or girl) is sitting somewhere in the software and turns the volume button quickly to loud and than turn it slowly to the normal position. Not always, only if and when (s)he likes it.

Where do I make a mistake? Maybe in the settings?

Thanks in advance
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
If your initial phrase is too loud and then softer as time goes on, then use keyframes to adjust the audio volume on the timeline. You can also use the WaveEditor to do the adjustments.

The Realtek audio driver for example has the volume adjustments for mic recording. If the slider is all the way up then the +10, +20 boost adjustment should be available.
M. Yalcin [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you very much tomasc. I will follow your advice. I hope that I will be able to report the positive result.
M. Yalcin [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi tomasc and everybody who had the same problem and knows the solution.

I followed your advice and turned the volume by 5-6 dB at the beginning of the loud voice over clips. Thank you tomasc. I had limited success. It is now no more horrible but still disturbing. The approach seems like a temporary solution to an effect that I didn't want introduced in the first place.

I made some further trials and found the following:

• The original recordings are all ok. If I mute all audio tracks except one, I don't detect the problem. The problem comes up when I have more than one audio track in my project.

• It seems that the audio software turns the voice and music up and down according to a secret algorithm / logic. It's a kind of opposite audio ducking; it's an audio shouting. It may be useful in a conference hall to balance the voice level of various speakers or the effect of the distance between the speaker and the microphone. But it's unneccessary in a video and actualy quite frustrating.

• It occurs at the beginning of each following voice over clip, if there is a pause of more than approximately 20-30 seconds between the two clips. If it is a long voice clip or the clips are adjacent or near each other, there is no audio shouting effect.

• When the audio shouting occurs by "play" in the editing room of Powerdirector, I stop playing and start again at a point shortly before the disturbed clip. It's normal again. Audio shouting is gone.

• The music volume tends to increase if there is a long period without narration.

Considering all of these, I think that the audio shouting is introduced by the audio software. I would like to have better control over the levels of audio tracks in my movie. There must be a way to turn this logic off.

Do you know how?

Thanks in advance