Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Does video quality deteriorate with multiple edits?
Beemer [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Scotland Joined: Dec 27, 2016 02:10 Messages: 24 Offline
[Post New]
I made a video today but I overexposed in camera. Using PD15 I have tried to correct the exposure by a series of tests.
Using fix/enhance I have tried reducing Exposure, then Brightness, then Lighting. note of these produced a satisfatory H265 MP4 movie.
The biggest problem was that as I made the test series all from the original saved project the colour changed to make skin unnatural and blotchy.
Apart from that I'm wondering if the timeline clips deteriorate after each test just like JPG images do with multiple edits?
Ian
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I made a video today but I overexposed in camera. Using PD15 I have tried to correct the exposure by a series of tests. Using fix/enhance I have tried reducing Exposure, then Brightness, then Lighting. note of these produced a satisfatory H265 MP4 movie. The biggest problem was that as I made the test series all from the original saved project the colour changed to make skin unnatural and blotchy. Apart from that I'm wondering if the timeline clips deteriorate after each test just like JPG images do with multiple edits? Ian

Only if you bring the "Produced" video back into the timeline, perform additional edits, produce and repeat steps. When full encoding is done again and again, yes it does loose some quality each pass, especially with lower end bitrate source.

Multiple adjustment edits applied to a clip in timeline and "Produced" is better quality than doing the same in a loop fashion of applying one adjustment edit, produce, use that clip in the timeline to apply another total clip adjustment, produce,.....

Jeff
Beemer [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Scotland Joined: Dec 27, 2016 02:10 Messages: 24 Offline
[Post New]

Only if you bring the "Produced" video back into the timeline, perform additional edits, produce and repeat steps. When full encoding is done again and again, yes it does loose some quality each pass, especially with lower end bitrate source.

Multiple adjustment edits applied to a clip in timeline and "Produced" is better quality than doing the same in a loop fashion of applying one adjustment edit, produce, use that clip in the timeline to apply another total clip adjustment, produce,.....

Jeff

Jeff,
thanks for your reply. I did the first Produce then leaving this project file open I returned to the editor made the edit then produced again and repeated for each adjustment . So I guess this is okay and would not result in video deterioration as presumably all but the last production are overwritten or deleted?
When I bought PD Ultimate it included ColorDirector but I had to purchase a further download after changing my computer. When I did this Color Director did not get downloaded even although it is listed in my Director Zone assets.

Ian