Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Shutterstock License 365 subscription?
Stephan.L [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 29, 2020 03:39 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Hi everybody!
I'm new here.
I wonder if we can use Shutterstock videos and photos in monetized videos on YouTube?

Do you get visual claims?

It's a royalty free license?

This is the answer I got from support:

We understand that you have queries using the Shutterstock on your videos when you upload them to your YouTube channel from the PowerDirector 365 subscription software. We are more than willing to assist you.
With reference to your query, we would like to inform you that all materials in our software are licensed for your personal purposes and non-commercial use.

What's your experience?

Kind regards
StevenG [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Jan 14, 2014 14:04 Messages: 513 Offline
[Post New]
Media from Shuttlerstock is royalty-free -- which means you can use it in any video project, even a work for hire.
Maliek [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: San Antonio, Texas USA Joined: Nov 10, 2012 12:01 Messages: 851 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi everybody!
I'm new here.
I wonder if we can use Shutterstock videos and photos in monetized videos on YouTube?

Do you get visual claims?

It's a royalty free license?

This is the answer I got from support:

We understand that you have queries using the Shutterstock on your videos when you upload them to your YouTube channel from the PowerDirector 365 subscription software. We are more than willing to assist you.
With reference to your query, we would like to inform you that all materials in our software are licensed for your personal purposes and non-commercial use.

What's your experience?

Kind regards

My experience is that any royalty free music that is licensed for personal and non-commercial use is fine to use on YouTube. But, the same music is likely to be claimed due to the unreliability of the YouTube content claim ID system. If you use music in your YouTube videos be ready to dispute a cliam in order to keep using the music.

Read this thread from YNotFish. It shows his results on using music on YouTube. Very interesting.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 29. 2020 09:05

Stephan.L [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for your answers!
I'm still afraid that I will get visual claims.
Maybe the best is to put a video out there and see how it goes.

Maybe Cyberlink should give us a license we can use to dispute claims?

A little about my case:
I'm about to have a monetized music channel on youtube.

I'm making my own music and do videos with flowers and nature to the music.

What I don't want is Shutterstock or any other agency to put an advert on my clips.
Feels not good
Stephan.L [Avatar]
[Post New]
Since this was the answer from support:

we would like to inform you that all materials in our software are licensed for your personal purposes and non-commercial use.

That means we can't use it for commercial use.

This is what troubles me the most.
It looks so good on their frontpage with Shutterstock library and the content packs.

But, they hide the info about how it's aloud to be used.
The most of us probably think it's green light to use Shutterstock library and the content packs when we need and want to but it isn't.
Only for personal purposes and non-commercial use

I'm quite dissapointed.

I think the license info should be clearly stated on the frontpage and not hidden.

Royalty free license for personal purposes and non-commercial use

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 03. 2020 14:14

PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

The use of PDR and any licensed or bundled content for commercial purposes is a perennial issue that is both theoretically and practically complicated. It also requires an understanding of legal matters and anyone unqualified should pause for thought before being definitive.

However, the majority of the matters raised over the years are covered in the EULA, here for PDR365
https://www.cyberlink.com/support/faq-content.do?id=24399

So a careful study of the EULA (which is presented as you install PDR) will point in the right direction, even if at first glance it is a little confusing.

It is also worth noting that the 1st paragraph of the EULA is:

"Do not install or use the software until you have read and accepted all of the license terms. Permission to use the software is conditional upon your agreeing to the license terms. Installation or use of the software by you will be deemed to be acceptance of the license terms."

Very broadly speaking, the EULA deals with firstly, the licensing of the software itself and covers issues of re-selling, sublicensing, reverse engineering and the like.

It then covers the differing types of licenses available - individual, site, educational etc.

Then, of importance to the issue raised here, are the sections dealing with 3rd party technologies:
"If you are going to use the SOFTWARE for your direct revenue-generating use or to serve as a main resource to generate revenue for you then additional licenses will be needed for the following non-exhaustive list of third party technologies:........

CyberLink does not license the above items for commercial use and you are advised to approach the relevant licensing agents at the above addresses for more information."

The next sections, again directly relating to the issues raised here, are the sections on the use of content licensed from 3rd parties and specifically Shutterstock Inc. which are extensive and cover the use of video and image content and particularly music content.

The last sections deal with warranties, liabilities and claims.

The EULA is the legal agreement that exists when you agree to use the software, and it does cover the significant areas that most users come across.

However, practically speaking, many users may not study the EULA in detail and many users may use PDR for commercial purposes, without perhaps taking out specific commericial licenses for 3rd party technologies or content. That is a matter for each individual to research and analyse for themselves.

Best practice would be for users to read, and re-read, the EULA for their own context and purposes.

Hope this helps.

PowerDirector Moderator
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi,

The use of PDR and any licensed or bundled content for commercial purposes is a perennial issue that is both theoretically and practically complicated. It also requires an understanding of legal matters and anyone unqualified should pause for thought before being definitive.

However, the majority of the matters raised over the years are covered in the EULA, here for PDR365
https://www.cyberlink.com/support/faq-content.do?id=24399

So a careful study of the EULA (which is presented as you install PDR) will point in the right direction, even if at first glance it is a little confusing.

It is also worth noting that the 1st paragraph of the EULA is:

"Do not install or use the software until you have read and accepted all of the license terms. Permission to use the software is conditional upon your agreeing to the license terms. Installation or use of the software by you will be deemed to be acceptance of the license terms."

Very broadly speaking, the EULA deals with firstly, the licensing of the software itself and covers issues of re-selling, sublicensing, reverse engineering and the like.

It then covers the differing types of licenses available - individual, site, educational etc.

Then, of importance to the issue raised here, are the sections dealing with 3rd party technologies:
"If you are going to use the SOFTWARE for your direct revenue-generating use or to serve as a main resource to generate revenue for you then additional licenses will be needed for the following non-exhaustive list of third party technologies:........

CyberLink does not license the above items for commercial use and you are advised to approach the relevant licensing agents at the above addresses for more information."

The next sections, again directly relating to the issues raised here, are the sections on the use of content licensed from 3rd parties and specifically Shutterstock Inc. which are extensive and cover the use of video and image content and particularly music content.

The last sections deal with warranties, liabilities and claims.

The EULA is the legal agreement that exists when you agree to use the software, and it does cover the significant areas that most users come across.

However, practically speaking, many users may not study the EULA in detail and many users may use PDR for commercial purposes, without perhaps taking out specific commericial licenses for 3rd party technologies or content. That is a matter for each individual to research and analyse for themselves.

Best practice would be for users to read, and re-read, the EULA for their own context and purposes.

Hope this helps.

PowerDirector Moderator

All true, been a sore spot and much contention for years. Even so much that in yrs past a CL official post was removed which at the time claimed no issue with commercial or for sale work and when challenged by forum contributors, he posted back a redacted version and then poof, post locked for forum contributors to even reference.

Will be interesting to see the language in new EULA with CL's new SKU's targeting SMB with launch in Q3 2020.

Jeff