Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Video playback in PD doesn't match Timeline
Darlisa [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 20, 2020 00:36 Messages: 20 Offline
[Post New]
Can someone tell my why the video in the preview isn't syncing up with the timeline? This is the first time this has happened to me so unsure why it is doing this. The image showing in the large preview window (see attached) is actually at around 3:35 in the video and you can see that the image shown in the timeline is completely different. When I play the video in Windows Media Player, everything matches up but when I hit play in PD, it just doesn't match up. There is about a minute at the beginning of the video where I'm not moving and just talking (from about 00;00;27;00 to about 00;01;50;30) and the playback looks like it is just skipping all of it and going from 30 seconds straight to 1 minute 50. I thought it was something that I had done, like accidentally stretching something but even after deleting the project file and starting over, it still did the same thing.

Since I'm using the preview window to match up my subtitles with the timeline, this is really disconcerting.
[Thumb - PDSyncIssue.png]
 Filename
PDSyncIssue.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
346 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
7 time(s)
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
It's hard to understand what's going on. On one hand, the thumbnails on the clip are only approximately accurate and may not always line exactly up with scene changes, so you should normally rely on the preview window content and the frame counter for precise timing info.

Also, if you're working with 4K clips and/or have applied any compute-intensive edits, the video and sound are likely to go out of sync during previewing. The usual solutions are to reduce the preview video quality to HD (instead of Ultra or Full HD) and/or use shadow files.

However, none of those explain the huge jump at 00:27, so maybe there's something about the source clip (or the specific edits you may have made there) that causes the issue.

Please try the above suggestions to see if they help, and make a screen recording showing what happens when you try to preview this project, then upload it to YouTube or to a cloud folder (Google Drive, OneDrive) and paste the link here so we can see what you're seeing.
Darlisa [Avatar]
[Post New]
I haven't applied any edits to the video at all. I loaded it into PD, saved the file, and immediately started doing the subtitles. I understand that the thumbnails and preview may not match up exactly, but I've never seen this much of a difference. Using the small thumbnails is kinda hard on these old, half blind eyes.

How do I check to see if it is in 4K?

The video I did immediately after this one, pressed F9 to stop video then F9 again to start next episode, is fine. It's just this one that looks odd.

I did produce the video just to see what would happen and it is fine. The sound track and video match up perfectly. It's just not matching up in PD itself.

Checked the following:

Timeline frame rate: 60 fps (NTSC) (also recorded at 60 fps)
Enable Shadow files selected
Timeline preview quality: HD Preview Resolution
Timeline preview mode: Real-time Preview

The two clips linked below show the same time period in PD and in Windows Media Player.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AmyvUkKt6N-siLQgXCvCJNR6wCe4lQ?e=VCYSiN - In PD

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AmyvUkKt6N-siLQhXzvkhwg76If_Tg?e=C41RbX - In Windows Media Player
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
That is very odd. You can check the resolution by right-clicking on the clip on the timeline and choosing View Properties. 4K video will be 3840x2160 (or 4096x2160) and HD will be 1920x1080, but I don't think that's the issue.

Have you tried disabling the subtitle track to see if that might be causing this? Right-click with the cursor all the way to the left of the timeline and disable Show Subtitle Track.

If that's not it, would you be ok sharing your project? That would let me and anyone else who wants to help load it on our machines and really see what's going on.

To do that, just go to Pack Project Materials... under PD's File menu and save everything to a OneDrive folder; then paste the link to the folder here.
Darlisa [Avatar]
[Post New]
The subtitles don't seem to make a difference. I created a new project and added the video file to it with nothing else just to check and it still did it.

I'll have to wait until tomorrow evening to upload the project as it's almost 11 pm here and I have to work tomorrow until 5 pm Central.
Darlisa [Avatar]
[Post New]
Taking a quick break from work ... here's the folder:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmyvUkKt6N-siLQlGP4aKJOHgB4SEQ?e=WlNrsa
optodata
[Post New]
Thanks very much for sharing your project!

I loaded it and previewed it on my system with the preview set to Full HD and I didn't see any problems. Even running when a screen recorder - playing the clip in VLC and previewing the project on PD's timeline were both perfectly in sync:

Can you make a screen recording showing what happens when previewing on your system? I'm especially interested in the big skip you mentioned in your first post.
Darlisa [Avatar]
[Post New]
I wasn't quite able to get the two apps synced up but it's close enough. PD is on the left, Media Player on the right. I recorded to the point where, in the Media Player, it goes to the greenhouse so you can see what PD is skipping in the preview.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AmyvUkKt6N-siLR5SzKPbZcSBxj9zw?e=vCLudK

Like I said in a previous post, the rest of my videos work fine. I can get the subtitles done although it will take me longer and it seems to be producing it correctly. My concern is that there will be one video that does this and doesn't produce correctly and I'll not be able to reproduce the video. Or, that there's something I'm doing that is causing this and that I'll make the issue worse in a future video. However, since all my following videos seem to preview correctly, I'm not seeing that it's something I'm doing. I did try restarting my PC, just in case that would help, but no luck.
optodata
[Post New]
Thanks for making that recording. Since I don't see any problems on my system we have to look at the technical details of yours to try and narrow down the problem. Please follow the steps in the Read Me Before Posting guide and attach the DxDiag file so we can see the details of your computer.

The source clip is recorded with Apple Quicktime and sometimes PD has difficulty with clips like that. One thing you can do right away is to disable hardware decoding under Preferences | Hardware Acceleration and see if that lets you preview the clip normally. Close PD and reopen it to be certain it's turned off.

Another thing to try is to load the two re-coded clips in this folder.

Import them both into the Media Library, then drag one of them straight onto the existing clip on the timeline and choose Replace. Do the same thing with the 2nd clip and let us know if either or both of them seem to work. Try them both of them with the Hardware decoding enabled and disabled to see if that plays a role or not. No need to save the project unless they work as expected and you want to use one.

There are a couple more things to try but I'll wait for the DxDiag info and the results of you testing out the 2 new clips first.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 03. 2020 15:51

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Darlisa [Avatar]
[Post New]
Unchecked the Hardware Acceleration, closed PD, reopened it and no difference. Also verified it was disabled when I relaunched PD.

Both the nVidia and SVRT recoded files worked but I don't see an option in Cyberlink Screen Recorder 4 to change the encoding other than unchecking the Hardware Acceleration there as well.

My DxDiag is attached. I have PD 365 and it was also updated earlier today.
 Filename
DxDiagRiggs.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
102 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
176 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 03. 2020 19:44

optodata
[Post New]
That's some intriguing new info. Your DxDiag seems fine, although there's a newer nVidia Studio Driver available.

I didn't know you were using SR4, and I also didn't realize it used a QuickTime codec.

I compared the recording I uploaded to YouTube with your clip using MediaInfo and everything matched. Maybe disabling hardware encoding in SR4 will help, but it sounds like all the other clips were fine so it may be hard to tell if the problem would really be gone or if the new clips might have played fine with hardware encoding anyway.

Also, the only thing I did to re-code the original clip was to place it on the timeline by itself then used the Profile Analyzer in the Produce room to create a custom profile. PD produces using a Sony-PSP codec rather than QuickTime, and the SVRT clip took only seconds to finish.

Since the SVRT clip doesn't seem to have the problem, that's a quick and easy way to work around the skipping. One other thing to try is to download and install the free QT Lite codec, which has helped some people with QuickTime issues in the past.
Darlisa [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you very much for all your assistance and abundance of patience. I worked on a couple of SW QA teams over the years and it frustrates me when I don't know enough about something in order to diagnose and fix it so am very grateful for those who do.

I'm downloading the Nvidia update and QT Lite now and will try the recoding option if this happens again.

As for SR4 using the QT codec, perhaps that is something that Cyberlink needs to look at since PD seems to have some problems with QT.

Thank you once again.

-d