Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Cut and Paste Section of File
glenboy23 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 20, 2018 17:30 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
I have a music file that's 1 hour in length. I'd like to copy some individual songss and paste them into separate tracks so that I can mix them differently. I highlight a specific song and copy it, but when I select an open track, it just pastes the entire 1-hour file.

It seems like this should be fairly simple. What am I doing wrong?

[Post New]
Hello glenboy23,

Welcome to the ADR forum laughing

Cut/copy/paste functions are available in the Edit, Restore & Mix modules of ADR. There's a very clear guide in the Help file laughing

PIX

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 02. 2020 18:36

PIX YouTube channel
glenboy23 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hello glenboy23,

Cut/copy/paste functions are available in the Edit, Restore & Mix modules of ADR. There's a very clear guide in the Help file laughing

Yes I'm following the help guide precisely. I use the scrubber to highlight a section. I copy it and then when I hit paste, I get a dialogue box that asks do you wish to insert or overwrite. I wish to do neither. I want to copy the selected section to Track 2 in the mix mode, but when I select Track 2, it pastes the entire 1-hour clip.

PIX
[Thumb - temp.jpg]
 Filename
temp.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
142 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
4 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 03. 2020 15:42

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Ahh, that's because you're in the Mix room, while PIX's screenshots are from the Edit screen. Try it there and it should work as described.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
glenboy23 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Ahh, that's because you're in the Mix room, while PIX's screenshots are from the Edit screen. Try it there and it should work as described.

In the edit screen, copy & paste only adds the selected segment back into the existing file. I don't want to add it back into the existing file, I want to isolate the segment as a separate file and then pull it into another track in the mix room.

I followed these same procedures in the mix screen and that's where my problem comes. It does not paste the clipboard into the empty track, it just pastes the entire file.

I guess I could delete the whole file in the edit screen except for my clip, export/produce it as an mp3, and then reimport it. That seems kind of hokey.
[Post New]
Just to clarify, is what's shown in this screen capture what you're trying to do?

PIX PIX YouTube channel
glenboy23 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Just to clarify, is what's shown in this screen capture what you're trying to do?

PIX

Yes. That's exactly what I do, but I don't get the same result. I get the entire track duplicated, not the segment I highlighted.

Thanks for the video. I don't know how to post a video, or I'd show you how it works for me and the reason I'm posting.

I appreciate your attempts to help me.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I don't know how to post a video, or I'd show you how it works for me and the reason I'm posting

If you have a YouTube account, upload it there and make sure the visibility is set to either Public or Unlisted (NOT Private) then paste the link here directly or use the forum's video box to embed it like PIX did:

You can also upload it to a cloud folder like on Google Drive or OneDrive and paste a shareable link here so others can download it.

[Post New]
Hello again,

Don't worry. You're not going bonkers! I've just seen exactly what you're talking about:
I get the entire track duplicated, not the segment I highlighted.

In preparation for another screen capture, I fabricated a longer track by combing tracks/songs then produced that as a single audio file (~20mins in duration). That produced file was imported into ADR to replicate what you're doing.

When I attempted to select part of the track to move or copy/cut, ADR slected the whole track. i.e. the selected section wouldn't remain selected! I'm still investigating what causes that.

Perhaps a simpler option for you (until we get resolution) might be to split the track [Ctrl+T] betweem songs/pieces, then simply drag & drop to re-order your music.

Here's the track I constructed, using some downloaded pieces from Epidemic Sound (so please only use for testing).

PIX PIX YouTube channel
glenboy23 [Avatar]
[Post New]

If you have a YouTube account, upload it there and make sure the visibility is set to either Public or Unlisted (NOT Private) then paste the link here directly or use the forum's video box to embed it like PIX did:

You can also upload it to a cloud folder like on Google Drive or OneDrive and paste a shareable link here so others can download it.

Thanks for the tip!
glenboy23 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hello again,

Don't worry. You're not going bonkers! I've just seen exactly what you're talking about:
I get the entire track duplicated, not the segment I highlighted.

In preparation for another screen capture, I fabricated a longer track by combing tracks/songs then produced that as a single audio file (~20mins in duration). That produced file was imported into ADR to replicate what you're doing.

When I attempted to select part of the track to move or copy/cut, ADR slected the whole track. i.e. the selected section wouldn't remain selected! I'm still investigating what causes that.

Perhaps a simpler option for you (until we get resolution) might be to split the track [Ctrl+T] betweem songs/pieces, then simply drag & drop to re-order your music.

Here's the track I constructed, using some downloaded pieces from Epidemic Sound (so please only use for testing).

PIX

I'm relieved to find out I'm not going bonkers. I assumed ADR would have this capability because I do it all the time in PowerDirector.

Anyway, I'll use the work arounds for now. Thanks for bird-dogging this. I'll be interested to see if you're able to figure it out.
[Post New]
I'll also be interested to see whether I can figure it out! It hasn't happened thus far.

I wouldn't regard the split option as a workaround, myself. It seems to be a cleaner way to go about what you're trying to do. AND it does what you'd expect!

It's also so simple, even I could manage it laughing

PIX PIX YouTube channel
glenboy23 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I'll also be interested to see whether I can figure it out! It hasn't happened thus far.

I wouldn't regard the split option as a workaround, myself. It seems to be a cleaner way to go about what you're trying to do. AND it does what you'd expect!

It's also so simple, even I could manage it laughing

PIX

You know, in reviewing this, I realized that I hadn't used the split function before. You're right. That's a really clean way to accomplish my goal. So I learned something new. Thanks again.
RunnerDuck [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 08, 2015 20:01 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
I am new to AD and I'm struggling a littel. What I want to do is cut out a section of a several tracks all together. I've tired highlighting all the tracks and hitting CTL-X or CTL-C and nothing happens. (see picture)

Exactly how do I remove a section from mutilple tracks at one time?
[Thumb - AD Screen Capture.jpg]
 Filename
AD Screen Capture.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
This is the area I would like to delete or copy or move
 Filesize
65 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
5 time(s)
optodata
[Post New]
Quote Exactly how do I remove a section from mutilple tracks at one time?

As far as I can tell, AD will only allow you to use the Split tool (Ctrl+T) on one clip at a time, so there's no point in using the selection tool.

Instead place the timeline slider at the starting point, then click on each track and then on the Split tool (or hit Ctrl+T). Repeat those 2 steps all the way down then move the slider to the ending position and follow the same steps going back up (or starting over at the top) to split the ending locations.

Once they're all split you can hold the Ctrl key down while selecting the middle section of each track like this, then hit the Del key:

""

You can also click on each track and hit Del without selecting all of them at the same time.

Maybe someone else knows of an easier way to do this all in one sweep, otherwise you may want to let CL know you'd like to see that functionality by using File > Rate Us & Provide Suggestions...
RunnerDuck [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 08, 2015 20:01 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you that helps although compared to other audio software I've used it''s pretty clumbsy. I will send this suggestion to CL.
[Post New]
Hello RunnerDuck,

I'm late to the party, I'm afraid. I saw your question earlier, then started trying to find a way round it. The Split & Remove option optodata suggested was all I could come up with.

We're all agreed, I think, that it's a fairly clumsy option.

My delay in responding was partly preparing a screen capture to explain, & partly because both PDR & my PC were being uncooperative frown

This screen capture is superfluous now, as my colleague has explained it perfectly. but I'll post it anyway.

PIX

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 18. 2021 19:54

PIX YouTube channel
[Post New]
I thought grouping tracks in the Mix module (see attached screenshot) may have allowed all tracks to be edited (as in cut/copy/paste) together, but (as far as I can tell) it only allows volume to be adjusted across all tracks.

undecided PIX
[Thumb - ADR_Create Group.jpg]
 Filename
ADR_Create Group.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
567 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
1 time(s)
PIX YouTube channel
optodata
[Post New]
Yeah, I was also disappointed at the Group functionality