Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Newbie photos are blurry when outputting to slideshow
Oneputt [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 26, 2020 21:16 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Hello all,

Just playing around with new program and learning some basics. I took some very high quality pictures with my drone over the last few days and have put them into the slideshow creator tool . The pictures are very high quality (5472x3078 ) . When i view them individually they are very crisp and clear. When put into slideshow they go very low quality and not at all acceptable.

Searched the forum and tried a few different things to resolve. One was to downsize the pics to 1920x1080. But got the same result.

Any advice would be appreciated. I am sure something isnt set correctly , but dont want to run into this same issue with high quality videos for my next project.

thanks in advance.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 26. 2020 21:57

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
There's no need to downsize the images. Where are you seeing the poor quality - when you're previewing them on the timeline or after you've produced?
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
If you are talking preview screen with timeline playback, check what display resolution (icon to the left of speaker under the preview screen) you have set. Just keep in mind, the higher the display quality, the slower the timeline editing experience. This setting does not affect end quality, just editing clarity trade for playback efficiency.

If a produced video has the poor quality, provide the details of what profile you used to produce to. Small frame size and lower bitrate cause preview issue when playback on much larger scale.

Jeff
Oneputt [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote There's no need to downsize the images. Where are you seeing the poor quality - when you're previewing them on the timeline or after you've produced?

Im seeing the poor quality in the preview and also after it has been produced. I tried it again the am with the quick slideshow creator. Same poor image quality. I also pull the images up with computer before they are imported, all are very good quality and crystal clear.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Your source is 16 mp images. You could produce a slideshow using the Normal template. Produce at say mp4 at 4K: 4096 x 2160 (50 Mbps). Your 4K produced video slideshow would be the equivalent of 8 mp images which are half that of the source. I believe that 8K and 16K resolution slideshows are available as I see them on YouTube.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Oneputt -

Maybe you've resolved you image quality issues because you haven't yet posted what profile you used to produce the slideshow video.

You also didn't mention what slideshow templates were used. If you used the Motion slideshow template, there would be some zoom & pan involved. That may have an impact on image quality (especially if the zoom was a bit OTT).

Not sure what the source of your photos is, but 5472x3048 is a less common output size for cameras. A more common resolution is 5472x3648, which is 3:2 aspect ratio.

I took a bunch of 5472x3648 sample photos from a few different cameras & used them in a motion slideshow using the Pan & Zoom tool. I produced them to AVC MP4 1920x1080 & 3840x2160.

If you want, you can download the produced videos & original photos to see how they compare.

FHD version - https://drive.google.com/file/d/19tPqFdSiLmVrMqlOd64I4shuHK7lwA_f/view?usp=sharing
UHD version - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1z3ag96CptfHBuLTlf-rW6tpcsWY2aJkL/view?usp=sharing
Zipped file - Original photos - https://drive.google.com/file/d/11_kj3CMxztDNoxHu8odWf31mBksMKdG6/view?usp=sharing

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Oneputt [Avatar]
[Post New]
Found the issue.

When doing the fast slideshow link, the pictures are a lower quality upon output. (seem to be anyway)

When i built the slideshow in main program, they came out great.

Thanks for all the input.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Found the issue.

When doing the fast slideshow link, the pictures are a lower quality upon output. (seem to be anyway)

When i built the slideshow in main program, they came out great.

Thanks for all the input.

I find that either the full mode or slideshow creator will need to go to the produce screen anyway and you have the same format and resolution/profile quality selections to choose from or change away from any defaults.