Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
when playing dvd video is cropped pls help
isley88888 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 24, 2020 21:42 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
i have been trying to make a dvd using powerdirector everything looks fine before but when i play the burned dvd in dvd player for tv the video is cropped on all sides, 16:9 1080p ntsc tried all types of video files still the same i also tried many other dvd creator including dvd fab and has the same result pls help
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Your method of viewing, probably via DVD player and TV, maybe it's like "overscan" which
essentially magnifies the video placing the edges offscreen, outside the so-called safe zone.
First try your TV setting to see if another viewing aspect ratio will allow you to see the edges.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 25. 2020 21:32

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
AshWilliams [Avatar]
Member Location: Michigan Joined: Mar 28, 2013 23:38 Messages: 109 Offline
[Post New]
Quote i have been trying to make a dvd using powerdirector everything looks fine before but when i play the burned dvd in dvd player for tv the video is cropped on all sides, 16:9 1080p ntsc tried all types of video files still the same i also tried many other dvd creator including dvd fab and has the same result pls help

It also most likely could be that you burned HD video to a DVD Video disc, which has a resolution topped out at 720×480. That would most likely explain what you are seiing:

https://www.lqgraphics.com/blog/2011/01/dvd-vs-blu-ray-vs-1080p-video/#:~:text=DVD's%20have%20an%20intrinsic%20resolution,whole%20lot%20less%20than%201080p.

Ash
isley88888 [Avatar]
[Post New]
i made another version of the video file with 720*480 16*9 and tried again but still the same result
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Did you adjust the TV display? HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
isley88888 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Did you adjust the TV display?

do u mean the 16*9? could it be that i m using old dvd discs that i bought 8 years ago?

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jul 26. 2020 10:23

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote i have been trying to make a dvd using powerdirector everything looks fine before but when i play the burned dvd in dvd player for tv the video is cropped on all sides, 16:9 1080p ntsc tried all types of video files still the same i also tried many other dvd creator including dvd fab and has the same result pls help

What type of TV are you using? The old tube type or a more modern flatscreen type. Play a photo from your computer. Now display it on your TV either with a flash drive connected to the TV or the DVD player. If the photo is cropped only when played from the DVD player then make the changes in the DVD player. If the photo is cropped in the TV when connected directly to the TV then you know your settings with the TV is the problem.

Use the instruction manual that came with your TV and make the picture as small as possible by resetting the zoom so that the photo is seen unzoomed.

You can always call a TV repairman or technician to either reset it or ask them to show you how to reset it.
isley88888 [Avatar]
[Post New]

What type of TV are you using? The old tube type or a more modern flatscreen type. Play a photo from your computer. Now display it on your TV either with a flash drive connected to the TV or the DVD player. If the photo is cropped only when played from the DVD player then make the changes in the DVD player. If the photo is cropped in the TV when connected directly to the TV then you know your settings with the TV is the problem.

Use the instruction manual that came with your TV and make the picture as small as possible by resetting the zoom so that the photo is seen unzoomed.

You can always call a TV repairman or technician to either reset it or ask them to show you how to reset it.

its a flatscreen the dvd plays fine on my pc i ll try your suggestions i also played it on another tv and dvd player and the image is much smaller it does not fill up the whole screen so i can tell that the video is cropped on all sides thanks everyone

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 26. 2020 11:00

isley88888 [Avatar]
[Post New]
i just tried changing the zoom wide letterbox i even plugged in a usb with an image everything looks fine its only dvd video
i tried many dvd creators everything has the same problem except for sothink dvd creator it looks perfect except u cannot customise much so i rather not use it, i think it worked cuz it had a pan scan option instead of letterbox maybe any thoughts?
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Older DVD players may not have a 16:9 AR widescreen setting. Letterbox is better than Pan & Scan meant for old tube type TV's. The solution may be to get a different player. My DVD players have the zoom settings. You are saying that you don't have an instruction manual for the connected DVD player to make the necessary settings.
isley88888 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I went into setup on dvd player tried every option in view mode and all other option in video setting still the same result
isley88888 [Avatar]
[Post New]
everything works great now thanks
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
Quote I went into setup on dvd player tried every option in view mode and all other option in video setting still the same result
Not the DVD player, the TV menu.