Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Viewing main TL and text/voiceover/music tracks together
Davidk101
Senior Member Location: Brisbane Australia Joined: Jun 24, 2020 02:38 Messages: 172 Offline
[Post New]
Having added in the photos/video clips/colour boards etc that I want in the main Timeline (TL), some in extra video or overlay tracks: then comes the addition of text, voiceover and lastly music. And I find it's a damn inconvenience to keep scrolling up and down bewteen tracks for this, assuming that you remember to position the time marker in the TL as a reference - one to the other.

Is there a simple way to just temporarily "not see or display" the extra video or overlay tracks below the main TL track so that edits on text voice and music are easily done with respect the main TL?
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
No, but you can adjust both the height of the TL tracks (video and audio tracks can be adjusted independently) and change the overall height of the TL area by dragging this control up or down as needed

Davidk101
Senior Member Location: Brisbane Australia Joined: Jun 24, 2020 02:38 Messages: 172 Offline
[Post New]
Hi opto,
That 9imaged action) works, but it seriously crimps everything but the timeline space. And to get all the tracks I am talking about into view I had to delete an unused (so far) video track (4). Se screenshot.

But it didn't do anything to the track height - just made more screen area available for the TL space.

It would be much better if there was a means of hiding a track(s), much like MS Excel allows a user to hide/un-hide rows or columns in a spreadsheet, for much the same reason.

Has this problem been raised before or should I post it in feedback?
[Thumb - adjusting track height.jpg]
 Filename
adjusting track height.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Adjusting the TL space to view voice/text/music tracks with main TL
 Filesize
396 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
2 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 18. 2020 22:16

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Obviously you can't really use PD if your preview window is so small, so you still need to minimize the TL track heights.

Your screenshot seems to have all tracks the same default height, and a quick way to minimize all video tracks at once is to right-click in the left-most area and choose Adjust Video Track Height, then choose Small.

The windows will be redrawn with the full timeline visible. Do that again for the audio tracks, then manually reduce the FX, title, narration and music tracks so you'll have the absolute shortest TL view.

At that point you can manually increase the height of the desired track while still seeing content on the others. It's not quite the same as hiding unwanted tracks, but it might work for you.

If you have a second monitor, you're actually free to undock the preview window and have that on one monitor while the timeline stays on the other.

As for feedback, the best way to let Cyberlink know what you're looking for is to use Rate Us & Provide Suggestions under PD's File menu

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Davidk101
[Post New]
Small was too small, medium is better. And it affected all but the Fx track, which I manually adjusted (grab bottom edge click n drag). (Screenshot). But it still didn't get them all.

I reached a compromise of smaller track size and slightly larger TL workspace. Screenshot. But for projects that have a lot of added content in extra tracks, even this would be pretty unworkable.

Feedback posted.
[Thumb - Tracks medium and TL area enlarged a bit.jpg]
 Filename
Tracks medium and TL area enlarged a bit.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
track height medium and larger TL workspace
 Filesize
485 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
2 time(s)
[Thumb - Track height medium.jpg]
 Filename
Track height medium.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Track height adjusted to medium
 Filesize
572 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
1 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 19. 2020 02:42

optodata
[Post New]
There are two other options I can think of to allow you to work on the text and music tracks more easily besides adding a 2nd monitor.

The first is to use ALT + mouse scroll wheel to quickly scroll the TL up and down whenever the cursor is over the timeline. The second is to flip the order of timeline tracks so that Track 1 is at the bottom and the music track is at the top. That option is on the Preferences | Editing menu

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Davidk101
[Post New]
The feedback focussed on hide/unhide tracks, so that the extras like text/voice/music could be worked on in view of the main TL, and a link to this topic was included.

But another possibility is to remove the main TL from the scroll-bar system. Thus scroll down to text/voice/music would still leave the main TL at the top of the workspace with the scrolled tracks now visible below it. And since there scroll bar systemn is already in place, this sort of change may be easier to do.

If the devs read the feedback and visit the topic they will see this.