Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
HD-DVD support please.
Karlr666 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 12, 2011 01:26 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Please could the coders/developers include support to be able to use old HD-DVDs please.
I know it's a old platform and was beaten by Blu Ray in the battle. But there is still a lot of us that still own a HD-DVD/Blu Ray drive in our computers, and would love to dust of our old disc collection. I mean where's the harm in supporting it in a future update?
I still own Powerdvd 7.3 Delux, and can't get that working in various Windows OS's, like i was able to do in the good ol days.
I like Blu Ray and have a massive collection of films and i also like HD-DVD and have a good collection of films aswell.
Whats the harm?
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
During the xp/vista era I recall an article on how to copy deleted components from an older version to a newer version of PDVD to support HD-DVD. Your best bet today may be to run windows XP or Vista on an old pc with a HD-DVD drive. Maybe check this out: https://www.skyneel.com/run-xp-simultaneously-in-windows-7-and-8-by-xp-mode#:~:text=How%20to%20run%20XP%20in%20Windows%207%20and,XP%20Mode%20in%20your%20PC.%20More%20items...%20 .

This is a user forum and no one from Cyberlink will read this post. You may want to contact them directly.
Karlr666 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 12, 2011 01:26 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Quote During the xp/vista era I recall an article on how to copy deleted components from an older version to a newer version of PDVD to support HD-DVD. Your best bet today may be to run windows XP or Vista on an old pc with a HD-DVD drive. Maybe check this out: https://www.skyneel.com/run-xp-simultaneously-in-windows-7-and-8-by-xp-mode#:~:text=How%20to%20run%20XP%20in%20Windows%207%20and,XP%20Mode%20in%20your%20PC.%20More%20items...%20 .

This is a user forum and no one from Cyberlink will read this post. You may want to contact them directly.

Thanks for the info.
I'll give it a try.
QC2.0 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 27, 2016 04:02 Messages: 610 Offline
[Post New]
HD-DVD has ceased for many years by the origanization that developed HD-DVD specification.

The movie disc contains DRM and it might require online authentication for playing on a PC (just like what Blu-ray movies do), and the authentication service has absolutely been taken down for a long time.

The most feasible playback solution is buying a HD-DVD TV player from Amazon or eBay if the legacy standlone players are still available on the market.

I believe most of the old movies that released in HD-DVD format also have the versions released in Blu-ray or online video formats.
Simon P [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 05, 2014 07:46 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Quote HD-DVD has ceased for many years by the origanization that developed HD-DVD specification.

The movie disc contains DRM and it might require online authentication for playing on a PC (just like what Blu-ray movies do), and the authentication service has absolutely been taken down for a long time.

The most feasible playback solution is buying a HD-DVD TV player from Amazon or eBay if the legacy standlone players are still available on the market.

I believe most of the old movies that released in HD-DVD format also have the versions released in Blu-ray or online video formats.

My solution for playing my old HD-DVDs is to rip them to disk using Makemkv and playing the .mkv files with MPC-HC.