Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD 17 Disc Creation Issue
.Relentless. [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 02, 2020 09:38 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
When I create "finalize" my movie, the mp.4 file is of high quality and plays great on my pc. Unfortunately, when I burn the movie to dvd, the quality is very poor and pixleated. 1st thing I discovered was that my entire film (I saved a backup copy) had expanded outside of the TV Safe Zone. So I went back and corrected each and every file... Grrr. Is there an easy way to do this?

BTW: All of my videos are from a Sony HandyCam and Nikon Camera so they are good recording devices. Everything looks great on the devices and in the mp.4 file output I produced.

Here is how I setup the criteria for the dvd creation screen.

DVD
MPEG-2
widescreen 16:9
Smart Fit
Dolby Dig
2 Channels

I also used the SVRT and followed along with the simple instructions provided on PD University (which is great).

Should I slow down the burning process?
Any other thoughts?

Thanks guys!

Honestly loving this new software, but simply taking time to learn. Much easier than my old products.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Honestly loving this new software, but simply taking time to learn. Much easier than my old products.

That is great that you love this new software!

The DVD standard was created for cathode ray tube television displays of more than 12 years ago. Some only display 230 horizontal lines of resolution. Those old tubes can have a lot of overscan, hence the need for the safe zone. The modern camera captures say in HD or 4K resolutions meant for modern televisions and they have little or no overscan.

There is no need to size video to fit inside the safe zone for a modern LED or LCD type tv. Mine has no overscan. Most users record camera videos with the safe zone in mind from experience.

You may be better off creating an AVCHD Disc or Blu-ray for HD resolutions or to produce in 4k resolutions for the modern tv sold today.

The DVD is good and has the appropriate resolution for the tube television that you are using with a DVD player.
.Relentless. [Avatar]
[Post New]

That is great that you love this new software!

The DVD standard was created for cathode ray tube television displays of more than 12 years ago. Some only display 230 horizontal lines of resolution. Those old tubes can have a lot of overscan, hence the need for the safe zone. The modern camera captures say in HD or 4K resolutions meant for modern televisions and they have little or no overscan.

There is no need to size video to fit inside the safe zone for a modern LED or LCD type tv. Mine has no overscan. Most users record camera videos with the safe zone in mind from experience.

You may be better off creating an AVCHD Disc or Blu-ray for HD resolutions or to produce in 4k resolutions for the modern tv sold today.

The DVD is good and has the appropriate resolution for the tube television that you are using with a DVD player.

unfortunately when I created the DVD it seems to of cut off the outside perimeter all the way around my video. As mentioned earlier I use the high quality Sony digital video camera, playing the DVD in a brand new just purchase DVD player on a 4K television. Thank you for your quick response but I am still stumped and in the same situation.
I have realign the entire video as well as title pages and text boxes within the TV safe zone. I have not finalized and burnt a second movie trial after these updates as I was hoping to learn something new here before possibly wasting my time and overlooking something simple.
Thanks for any additional insight anyone can offer.
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
I have not seen a modern moderately priced 4K TV sold that has that much overscan as you described. It is possible that you have the picture zoomed in at the TV or in the DVD player and you need to restore it back in the normal unzoomed position. Check for this and let us know what you find.

You can copy the attached 16:9 test pattern on to a usb flash drive and plug it in the TV to see the entire test pattern. If any of the circles are distorted or cut off then you may need to make a change in your TV zoom or scan settings.

Placing the same test pattern at the end of your DVD video allows you to change the settings in your TV or DVD player or both to accomplish the same.
[Thumb - IndianHeadTestPattern16x9.png]
 Filename
IndianHeadTestPattern16x9.png
[Disk]
 Description
16:9 TV test pattern
 Filesize
375 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
3 time(s)
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
I'm also thinking it maybe a TV setting. I actually warn people in a first play video about that.
As for pixelation, perhaps you are trying to put too much on a disc. How long is the video? HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
.Relentless. [Avatar]
[Post New]
ok- thanks for all the good advice thus far. I was able to get the movie to play on another tv and dvd player. I believe the issue was the dvd player. After watching the movie all the way through, I've learned a few things to do different in my creativity mode. I love learning new things. So exciting. ;

However.....I really want to get this product produced and complete a good production cycle so I can move on to new projects with my toolbelt fully stocked. :

I still have a few issues.

1. I had to reduce my font size on 2 text boxes due to pushing the outer limits - lesson learn.

2. The word 'play' is very fuzzy on the initial dvd screen. However my title is crystal clear. Odd, any ideas?

3. I have music playing at the end of my movie as I have 3 separate pictorial slides. Two work, but one does not. Only the music plays. The slide show not working is put together with 6-7 pictures with "Frozen in Space". Any ideas on this issue?

Thanks so much guys!

UPDATE:
I believe I've found the fix. I'll post up once I know for sure (burner disk now). Preview window looked good.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 13. 2020 22:10

.Relentless. [Avatar]
[Post New]
Well it did not work. ;-(

I ran the smart tool and it recommended disc burn with AVCHD. Everything looked great in the preview. It even played my 'frozen in space' pictures.

These were my settings on 2D Tab for my 25 minute movie;

AVCHD Widescreen 16.:9
H.264 HD 1920x1080 60i
Dolby Digitla 2 Channel

*enable color

I also slowed the burn rate from 8 down to 4. I was having no issues prior, but simply looking for the best product I could achieve.

The final disc will not play in my dvd player- Unrecognizable format. Am I wrong to assume that the AVCHD was converted during the burn to dvd recongnizatable/readable format...? Seems so. I understand that AVCHD may only be read via blue ray and ps3, but I thought it would convert.

In my earlier burn trial, I used mpeg2 but simply had the 'frozen in space' 30 second portion of my video with a black screen as the music played. I can change this portion of the slide, but I should not have to do so in order to produce my product.

Bummed and looking for help....

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 14. 2020 08:13

tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote The final disc will not play in my dvd player- Unrecognizable format. Am I wrong to assume that the AVCHD was converted during the burn to dvd recongnizatable/readable format...? Seems so. I understand that AVCHD may only be read via blue ray and ps3, but I thought it would convert.

The AVCHD disc you created should play in your pc optical drive using the VLC player. Try playing it on your pc.

The AVCHD disc will play on a Sony BD player manufactured after 2011 but not on the cheaper unlicensed brands like possibly Samsung if you are looking to find or buy a standalone player for Blu-ray, Avchd, and Dvd. See this article: https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/articles/00016537 .
.Relentless. [Avatar]
[Post New]

The AVCHD disc you created should play in your pc optical drive using the VLC player. Try playing it on your pc.

The AVCHD disc will play on a Sony BD player manufactured after 2011 but not on the cheaper unlicensed brands like possibly Samsung if you are looking to find or buy a standalone player for Blu-ray, Avchd, and Dvd. See this article: https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/articles/00016537 .

Yes, I was able to play the dvd on my pc. Sorry, I had to look up BD player...? So BD = Blue Ray Player. Weird. lol
I want the dvd to play on a normal dvd player on a normal television when I'm done.
Seems the last remaining issue is the slide show 'frozen space' as long as I change my settings back to Mpeg2.

Any thoughts no this issue?
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Go to the Create Disc/2D Disc tab. The AVCHD button is probably highlighted. Click the DVD button on the far left to highlight it to change from AVCHD to DVD which will change the video encoding format to MPEG-2 automatically. You must save the project now or it will revert to AVCHD the next time you open the project.

I do not have a problem with the Frozen Space slideshow using the sample jpg clips on the timeline. Maybe one of the image clips is corrupted to cause this. Can you remove it and replace the first image with a different one to try.

See this sticky: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/77190.page . Take a screenshot of the timeline with the Frozen Space slideshow showing along with the audio track with the music and attach it on your next reply so others may look for a possible problem and solution.
.Relentless. [Avatar]
[Post New]
Well, I made a few minor changes to my movie. I then saved, produced in mpeg2, and created disc in mpeg2. All is well, but still having the 1 slide show issue. The other 2 play fine, but each is a different template.

A few more questions for those still patient enough to endulge me;

1. Can I produce a move in AVCHD to preserve the quality of my hd videos recorded on hd camcorder AND THEN create disk with JPEG2 ? Or do I simply need to perform both actions with JPEG2 since I want to create a readable DVD?

2. I found that 1 picture in the slide show was not a jpeg, but png file. Also, I had changed the background to a picture that was also a png file. Could this possibly be the issue? I was able to convert both pictures to JPEG and input into the slideshow.

I did not get the opportuntiy to produce and create a disc as it was late, but will be doing so after work today pending any other suggestions I receive here on find online.

My movie is 27 min long, so I need a least an hour to produce/create dvd.

I also have the option to change the slide show template in order to see if this matters, but really like this particular one and don't believe it to be the issue, but..... who knows.

Thanks guys!
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hope that you may be using DVD+RW so that you can erase and reuse the same discs while you experiment.
1. I recall just placing jpeg photos on a CD or DVD is enough to get my old Mintek DVD player to play a slideshow with fades. This may or may not work with your standalone DVD player. You need to read the instruction manual on your particular DVD player.

2. I don’t know. Always used jpegs. Let us know if that is the problem you find and share it with everyone.
.Relentless. [Avatar]
[Post New]
Well.... no luck. All pictures were saved as jpeg and I both produced and created in mpeg2. The preview movie played and looked great. The mp.4 file created on my pc plays as it should showing the entire movie and the slide show in question.
I'm at a loss and now growing frustrated.
I can change the format of this movie section, but really like the way it is currenlty layed out and plays on my pc. This section of the movie simply shows a black screen for 55 seconds while the proper music is playing before displaying the next movie section.
I can't imagine the the dvd burner has anything to do with this...

I'm open to suggestions before I edit this film section.

Frustrated and no longer having fun... ;-(

EDIT: In doing some research, I'm wondering if this particular slideshow is available for 2D DVD creation. I see others that are similiar are marked for other 'online' purposes.
I prepared 2 trials last night and plan to process and burn today. I'll post results once complete.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 16. 2020 07:56

.Relentless. [Avatar]
[Post New]
As I am preparing my produce & burn trials I found this odd.

On the 2D tab, MPEG2 description is "this profile encodes BD video files....."
On the 3D tab, MpEG2 description is "this profile records a high quality DVD...."

Thoughts?

So far, my 2D Mpeg2 is working with the exception of the one slide show.

I'm going to run 2-3 trials on separate saved projects (all same movie) and see what I get.
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote As I am preparing my produce & burn trials I found this odd.

On the 2D tab, MPEG2 description is "this profile encodes BD video files....."
On the 3D tab, MpEG2 description is "this profile records a high quality DVD...."

Thoughts?

This would mean that on the 2D tab you have the center Blu Ray button highlighted and selected.On the 3D tab that would mean that you have the left DVD video button highlighted and selected instead.

There has been no 3D 4k TV manufactured in the last 3 years. There may not be a DVD player manufactured recently that supports 3D video.