Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Undocked Preview Window Disappears
bobear516 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 11, 2015 02:02 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I have a problem with my preview window disappearing when it's undocked. If I undock the preview window, it disappears completely and I only have the library window and timeline. To get it back again, I have to right-click in the library window to reset all undocked windows. While editing, I like to maximize the preview window to see and edit detail. The full screen preview isn't great for editing.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 11. 2020 14:36

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
This happens on my HTPC if someone move the preview window to the other monitor(tv) and close everthing without redocking first. The display is on the second monitor when I power it up.
Maliek [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: San Antonio, Texas USA Joined: Nov 10, 2012 12:01 Messages: 851 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I have a problem with my preview window disappearing when it's undocked. If I undock the preview window, it disappears completely and I only have the library window and timeline. To get it back again, I have to right-click in the library window to reset all undocked windows. While editing, I like to maximize the preview window to see and edit detail. The full screen preview isn't great for editing.

Check your PowerDirector preferences our undocking behavior and check Windows to see if your PC is set to multiple display. Subscribe to PowerDirector University on YouTube.

Subscribe to PDU Mobile on YouTube.
bobear516 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Check your PowerDirector preferences our undocking behavior and check Windows to see if your PC is set to multiple display.

Thank you for your prompt reply and please accept my apologies for the tardy response.

My computer is set up for multiple monitors and I have three displays. The preview preferences have the dual preview set to "Off" with the standard 2D preview. I have tried every possible configuration of those settings and the problem remians.
I have tried shutting down, rebooting, and restarting but that doesn't help. I have even gone so far as to uninstall and reinstall PD twice and the problem remains.
When I click the undocking icon for the preview window, it simply disappears and does not appear on any of my displays. I am guessing but is it possible that the preview window is simply opening outside the viewable area of my displays? If that is the case, how would I get it back?

Any suggestions will be very much appreciated.
Thanks.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Try this method.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
With some help from the Moderator, I've tracked down where the undocked Preview window position is stored and have created a quick way to return a runaway window to the screen

With PD closed, open the registry editor (start typing regedit into the Windows search bar) then click on the icon link that appears. Go to Edit | Find... (or type Ctrl+F) then copy and paste DisplayPanelPopupWnd and click Find Next.

Once the key is found, look in the right panel and double click on the key names shown inside the green boxes one at a time and change the Data contents for each one as follows:

You can now close the registry editor and launch PD.

If the Preview window was undocked (and located somewhere offscreen), it should immediately appear near the top left corner of the monitor. If it is docked when PD starts, undocking it should cause it to appear at the top left part of the screen instead of wherever it was before.

Once the Preview window is visible, you can move and resize it all you want and PD will remember the new undocked location from now on 👍

If the Library Preview window ever goes missing, you can follow the same steps for the LibraryPopupWnd key that's 3 keys down from DisplayPanelPopupWnd.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Maliek [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: San Antonio, Texas USA Joined: Nov 10, 2012 12:01 Messages: 851 Offline
[Post New]
Quote With some help from the Moderator, I've tracked down where the undocked Preview window position is stored and have created a quick way to return a runaway window to the screen

Great info! I hope it works. Subscribe to PowerDirector University on YouTube.

Subscribe to PDU Mobile on YouTube.
bobear516 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you very much for your help. Editing the registry brought the window back to the screen. It works normally now. Thanks again.
optodata
[Post New]
Glad to hear that! Thanks for confirming that everything worked out on your end cool

YouTube/optodata

WeWorkToVisitVegas [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 01, 2018 10:27 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Quote With some help from the Moderator, I've tracked down where the undocked Preview window position is stored and have created a quick way to return a runaway window to the screen

With PD closed, open the registry editor (start typing regedit into the Windows search bar) then click on the icon link that appears. Go to Edit | Find... (or type Ctrl+F) then copy and paste DisplayPanelPopupWnd and click Find Next.

Once the key is found, look in the right panel and double click on the key names shown inside the green boxes one at a time and change the Data contents for each one as follows:

If the Preview window was undocked (and located somewhere offscreen), it should immediately appear near the top left corner of the monitor. If it is docked when PD starts, undocking it should cause it to appear at the top left part of the screen instead of wherever it was before.

Once the Preview window is visible, you can move and resize it all you want and PD will remember the new undocked location from now on 👍

If the Library Preview window ever goes missing, you can follow the same steps for the LibraryPopupWnd key that's 3 keys down from DisplayPanelPopupWnd.

You Sir,, are my hero.
tomballard [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 25, 2015 00:16 Messages: 33 Offline
[Post New]

This didn't work for me. Still no Preview window. Any other ideas?
KC! [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 10, 2021 09:10 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Try this method.

Hi,
I'm pn a Windows 10 device and I am experiencing the same issue
The suggested methods didn't work for me, but I found a solution.

I have 2 displays with the primary display oriented on the left.

I reconfigured my display settings and placed the primary display on the right.
By doing that I was able to find the undocked preview window was located in the top left of my secondary display.
From there I was able to grab a corner of the preview window and relocate it.

Now when I undock my preview window, it lands on the primary display.

Cheers
dndn1011 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 15, 2020 17:10 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]

Hi,
I'm pn a Windows 10 device and I am experiencing the same issue
The suggested methods didn't work for me, but I found a solution.

I have 2 displays with the primary display oriented on the left.

I reconfigured my display settings and placed the primary display on the right.
By doing that I was able to find the undocked preview window was located in the top left of my secondary display.
From there I was able to grab a corner of the preview window and relocate it.

Now when I undock my preview window, it lands on the primary display.

Cheers

This thing happens on many apps from time to time and it drives me nuts. The silliest thing about it is that it would take very little time for devs to add a facility to go through the window list and move any offscreen back. Don't get me started. If Cyberlink would like my services in helping them make a better product, they know where I am. In the meantime, you can get yourself a very useful program "Autoit" and then this stupidly short program will find the preview window and move it to 0,0 (top left).

WinMove("","Render Preview",0,0)

Yes it is one line of code. Let me know if you want an exe. Then next time this happens to you, you can solve it with a click. No messing with the registry.