Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Bitrate limitation in PD8?
oRBIT2002 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 02, 2009 09:23 Messages: 27 Offline
[Post New]
PD7 had a very odd limitation for AVCHD/Blu-ray clips at around 18Mps and I was hoping for this stupid limitation was removed in PD8 but it's still there!
Why?
I want to export blu-ray compliant clips at 24Mbps or even 30Mbps but the program obviously won't allow me.
My camcorder outputs 24Mbps 1920x1080 at 50i, and of course I want the best quality (I was hoping for the SVRT technology aswell) after editing, but encoding at 17Mbps is just not an option.
Is there a way around this?
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Sadly Morgan - I think not. But it's not all bad - you're not in the boat alone.

Sorry - no help.

Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
CLD [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 23, 2007 02:05 Messages: 925 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Morgan,

This has been covered before. The limitation is due to the AVCHD spec, but RD plans to change this in a later update release.

You can read more here. I will let you know once it is released.

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7484.page

Regards,

David
James W
Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
[Post New]
David,

Do you have any idea when the next patch will be released? Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
CLD [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi James,

I just asked RD and I was told that the AVCHD enhancements won't be included until GM3 now, due to the special parameters in the newer Canon AVCHD camcorders. They are still working with your samples to perfect it.

Unfortunately you'll have to wait longer, since GM3 is not scheduled for release until December.

Regards,
David
CLD [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Morgan,

I was misinformed. The ability to output AVCHD at 24mb/s will be available in the next patch release, which should be available within the next day or so.

Apologize for the misinformation. Good news it will be available sooner!

David
oRBIT2002 [Avatar]
[Post New]
That is good news!
James W
Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
[Post New]
I had a chance to test the updated patch and try combining two clips recorded in the Canon AVCHD format. Although SVRT still did not work, I was able to rerender the clips at 24 MB/s as MPEG4 files. I tried playing the rendered files on Windows Media Player, VLC player, Splash Player, and in PD. I found that smoothest playback was on the Splash player, but I noticed a slight amount of distortion along the very bottom edge of my video. Splash uses NVIDIA pure video for hardware acceleration and converts interlaced video into progressive. I tried rendering these files with CUDA turned off in PD, but I got the same results.

In WMP and VLC there was no distortion along the bottom edge, but the video itself was interlaced and choppy. Neither one of those programs use hardware acceleration so that may explain the choppiness (although my CPU usage was only 34%).

In PD, the playback was smooth and looked fine for preview quality. Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
oRBIT2002 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Seems promising, but do I understand correctly.. When rendering 24Mbps AVCHD files, SVRT doesn't work, but when rendering 18Mbps it does?
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Excellent information James - and great news about the patch Kudos for your part in providing clips for testing and communication with R&D.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
James W
[Post New]
I never tried 18 Mb/s with the recent update. It never worked for me with the previous versions. It may be a Cannon vs Sony issue, but that is purely a guess.

I do all my recording at 24 Mb/s AVCHD so I have no desire to encode at a lower bitrate unless I have good reason to.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 10. 2009 07:54

Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
James W
[Post New]
I spent over 20 hours uploading those files to Cyberlink. I'm glad they found use for them.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 09. 2009 19:24

Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT