Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Keeping an object centered on the screen
Brian the robot [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 04, 2020 14:00 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Is there a feature or procedure that will keep a selected object (IE: like an object in motion tracking) always centered on the screen or at least appearing only within given designated parameters on the screen?

For example, if the camera chases a bee in the yard flitting from here to there, can the software track the motion of that bee AND force it to remain mostly centered on the screen?
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I'm not aware of any tools that can do that with PD. You can stabilize the clip and you can motion track an object, but the simplest way to do what you're wanting to do would be to try the Crop/Zoom/Pan tool.

You'd want to zoom in enough that you wouldn't run end up with any edges on screen, and then find the places where the object stays relatively still and keyframe on those points. The tool will automatically draw a path between the keyframes and will do so in a fairly smooth and graceful manner.

When you're done, it'll probably look something like this:

Although it looks very complicated, it's actually straightfoward and you'll probably get the hang of it fairly quickly. Be sure to close the tool and save the project often so you don't lose any of your hard work!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 06. 2020 19:24

Arryl [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 02, 2018 18:53 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you! What version of PD is this?

Quote I'm not aware of any tools that can do that with PD. You can stabilize the clip and you can motion track an object, but the simplest way to do what you're wanting to do would be to try the Crop/Zoom/Pan tool.

Although it looks very complicated, it's actually straightfoward and you'll probably get the hang of it fairly quickly. Be sure to close the tool and save the project often so you don't lose any of your hard work!
Brian the robot [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 04, 2020 14:00 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Thank you! What version of PD is this?

THank you!

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Thank you! What version of PD is this?

It's PD 18/365 as the name of the forum suggests, but this Crop/Zoom/Pan feature has been around since PD16.

For fun, here's a short movie I made of the International Space Station passing over my house the other night. I tracked it for a couple of minutes, but I couldn't keep it perfectly centered. It also passed very near a bright star, so I used the Crop/Zoom/Pan tool to make this short clip keeping the ISS as close to centered as possible.

Here's the "anti" motion track

The entire project can be downloaded from here if anyone wants to play around with it. No need to sign in.