Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Blending or feathering top layer photo so it blends with the background
tomballard [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 25, 2015 00:16 Messages: 33 Offline
[Post New]
I would think this a common problem. Background in this case is full sized and B&W. Overlay is smaller and color. I want to blend the top layer in with the background. Now there are parallel margins of the overlay that delineate the two photos. Thanks, Tom
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I think we really need to see what you're working with. Take a screenshot of your timeline, save it as a JPG/PNG and use the Attachments button under the forum's text box to upload it

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
tomballard [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I think we really need to see what you're working with. Take a screenshot of your timeline, save it as a JPG/PNG and use the Attachments button under the forum's text box to upload it

Hi, thanks for responding. Attached is an example. I've also tried this after removing the background on the overlay and still get an outline of the original overlay visible on the background. Thanks, Tom
[Thumb - sky moth.jpg]
 Filename
sky moth.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
2113 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
11 time(s)
tomballard [Avatar]
[Post New]

Hi, thanks for responding. Attached is an example. I've also tried this after removing the background on the overlay and still get an outline of the original overlay visible on the background. Thanks, Tom

(I sent as an attachment because this window does not allow pasting a screenshot.)
[Post New]
Hello Tom,

There is no tool in the Edit (Layers) module that allows you to feather the edge of a photo, but you may find that changing the Blending Mode helps the top (moth) layer merge better with the background.

Aside from that option, you could feather the edge of the moth image in other software before adding it to your PhD composition. Even free tools like Paint.NET can do this (with the right plugins installed).

PIX PIX YouTube channel
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote (I sent as an attachment because this window does not allow pasting a screenshot.)

That's correct, which is why I specifically requested that you use the Attachments button

I now see exactly what you mean, and the first thought I have would be to chroma-key out the background on the moth clip. If you've already done that, oftentimes you'll need to add a second chroma-key with slightly different settings to get everything clean. You may also want/need to add a feathered mask to onlyallow the moth and completely remove all edges.

Maybe you could attach that here as well so I can see if there are any particular settings that work.

EDIT: PIX gave a great answer as I was typing this

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 04. 2020 18:19

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°