Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Track Synchronization
PDuser97031 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Aug 08, 2009 23:44 Messages: 91 Offline
[Post New]
Either there is a major bug in PD8, or I'm overlooking something obvious. Searched this forum and don't find an answer. I'm an experienced video edit software user (over 4 years, 2 years using Pinnacle, others include Sony Vegas, Ulead/Corel, Vista x64 Video Editor).

"Link all tracks when moving" is checked (by default).

My tracks are getting out of sync. I have discovered that if I lock all tracks, then unlock all tracks, they will stay in sync -- for a while. But eventually everything starts getting out of sync again. This is very frustrating, cuasing me to spend tons of time re-ordering secondary tracks.

Here are samples: Main track with PIP track (1 or 2), and text track. Mixed video and images in the main track.

1. Change the duration of an image in the main track -- secondary tracks are in the wong place.

2. Insert a new image in the main track -- secondary tracks are in the wrong place.

3. Add a fade transition to all of main track (which condenses the time/duration of the entire main track) -- secondary tracks are in the wrong place.

Surely with software such as PowerDirector 8, this should not be happening.

What I am doing wrong? Thanks!
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Roy wrote:
Surely with software such as PowerDirector 8, this should not be happening.
Hi Roy,

You’re right. This shouldn’t be happening if you do indeed have the “link all tracks” option enabled in Preferences. Your PIP, Text, and Audio tracks should shift appropriately when you add an image or clip somewhere in the Master track.
But, as I’m sure you know, if you just add another 5 second image (or change the duration of an image from 5 to 10 seconds), in a PIP track, then the Master track will not shift. In such a case, you would have to place a 5 second “filler” in the Master track (a color board being a quick “filler” option), to accommodate for the extra 5 seconds you’ve added.

But if you are doing all of the above, and you still find that some PIPs haven’t shifted properly, then I’m not sure what could be causing this on your system.

However, I will say that there are times when I have seen my PIPs going a little out of sync. But then I discovered it was because when I added a filler, I also changed the duration of one of the transitions, and when I added what I thought was an appropriately timed filler, I didn’t compensate for that transition duration change I also made.

The only other thing that might be a factor, is that…
When one adds something to the Master track, one needs to simply take breath, and give PD and the computer a chance to make all the calculations necessary to execute the correct shifting of everything below the Master track. If one inserts a new image, and then immediately drags down a second one, or hits playback, etc., this does sometimes cause problems or even crashes for me. And could be what is perhaps contributing to your issue. Just a thought.

Roy, this didn’t help a bit, did it? Hahaha. Well maybe someone will chime in with a more reasonable and technical solution or suggestion for your issue.
But in general, the “link all tracks”, “lock tracks”, and “shifting” options, have never failed for me. So as far as I’m concerned, there isn’t a “major known bug”. Good Luck.

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
PDuser97031 [Avatar]
[Post New]
The problem I'm having is duration changes to the master track. Tracks below that don't follow along. I got so frustrated with my current project that I removed all PIP tracks! Even at that, text track gets out of sync. Very temporary circumvention is to lock then unlock the text track. It will then follow along for a while, but disintegrate after a major master tracks change (like adding fade transitions). Have waited for rendering to follow - even to the point of restarting PD - no help. I think there is a bug in this area.
Xerox [Avatar]
Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Aug 09, 2009 01:36 Messages: 446 Offline
[Post New]
I haven't had any problems with items #1 and #2.

For item #3, I can see where the PiP tracks don't adjust when adding transitions using "apply random to all" or "apply fade to all." When adding transitions manually, however, the PiP tracks adjust correctly.

I have PowerDirector 8 build 2013.
PDuser97031 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Where did you get build 2013? I'm at 1930. I have auto-update on, and have checked support downloads for PD8 updates and find none.

Thanks for noticing the "apply to all" is a primary contributor to the problem. Perhaps I can avoid using that until they get this fixed.

Xerox [Avatar]
Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Aug 09, 2009 01:36 Messages: 446 Offline
[Post New]
I have 2013 because I submitted a support ticket about a problem I was having, and after several bouts with Cyberlink support, they provided me a with a download link to an unreleased build in order to see if that build fixed my problem. I believe I read that the download trial version is build 2013, but you can't use your current serial number with the trial version. You will have to contact Cyberlink support about getting a link and new serial number for build 2013.
PDuser97031 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Just curious ... does Cyberlink support read these posts, or is it best to call them by phone to get their perspective on an issue?
Xerox [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Just curious ... does Cyberlink support read these posts, or is it best to call them by phone to get their perspective on an issue?

Cyberlink does not respond to the posts on this forum. To say that employees of Cyberlink don't read these posts on occasion would be unrealistic I think.

I've never phoned for support, so I can't tell you any experiences I've had with that method. Gateway DX4380, AMD A8-5500 Quad Core 3.2GHz with ATI Radeon HD 7560D; 16GB RAM; 1 TB SATA 7200 RPM; Windows 8 Pro 64-bit; PDR11, PDVD12.