Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Multiple video sync with one audio file
Lazarus101 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 03, 2020 05:06 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
I am trying to sync up multiple video tracks of people playing musical instruments with a single mixed audio track I have already made. I add the tracks on to the timeline and I am having the following two issues that are preventing me from syncing properly.

I have searched forums/goodle for a solution and have found plenty of articles on syncing but cannot find anything that helps me with these issues....

1. Using the 'Sync by audio' option.

When I first found this I was so happy, until I tried to use it. So when I have my video tracks and audio track imported and on my time line, as per instructions I left click on the video, press and hold control, then left click my other video tracks and also the audio clip, that's when the sync by audio button becomes available. However after I press sync by audio and the little window has finished telling me it is syncing audio only one of my tracks are synced and the others have been moved down the timeline after the synced clip/audio tracks. I have tried multiple ways to fix this such as disabling/enabling audio on video tracks, moving tracks around up and down and selecting only one track with audio. Nothing I've tried works. I just can't figure out a solution.

2. Moving a track.

Using the left mouse button, grabbing the track and moving it left or right in order to indivudually sync and video track with an audio track. When I do this I am able to move the track to get it 'close', however I am limited to where it 'snaps' onto the timeline which when fully zoomed in is either one snap to the left or right which (I think) is one second on the timeline. This of course, does not always sync. I have tried and tried to find how to make the track not snap so it lets me move abitrarily but I cannot do it. I thought I had got it when I found 'edit' in prefernces and it had a checkbox for snap to timeline, but this doesnt work as checked or uncheked I am still having the same problem.

I would be eternally grateful if someone could either explain what I am doing wrong or tell me what I should be doing.
Lazarus101 [Avatar]
[Post New]
After delving even further into solutions I have found something that kind of works for problem 1, trimming the video to just before the video sound starts to play synced 3 out of four of my tracks. However I still have a problem with this as I wanted to use the few seconds before of the person sitting down of receeding back from pressing record on their phone. This method doesn't work as well for me as I like to see each person hanging for a few waiting for the song to start!

Ill keep trying, but problem no.2 is still an issue.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 08. 2020 06:20

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I've found Sync by Audio to work very welll, but each clip has to have recorded the same event.

For example, if you have 3 cameras recording a concert or sporting event, PD can easily sync them because they'll all have the same sequence of sounds (with slight variations due to local noise and distance from the performers).

In your case, however, you have 3 audio tracks of individuals performing different parts of a composite performance, and there likely isn't enough commonality or continuity for the syncing algorithm to work. Your method of trimming the clips to the start should work fine, as would expanding the audio track height and visually syncing using the waveforms.

Once that's done, if you want to show a few seconds beforehand simply keep the clips in their existing (synced) timeline locations and then drag the left edge of each clip to the left.

As for individually moving each clip to sync it, it may be easier to select the desired clip then use the Alt+right arrow/left arrow keys to nudge the clip 1 frame back/forward at a time. Timeline snapping only occurs when dragging clips with a mouse so it won't affect you when you move clips with the keyboard.

If you do want to keep dragging with the mouse, make sure you're zoomed in enough horizontally to see the individual frames. Use the "+" symbol or drag the timeline scale slider at the bottom left of the editing window to do that.
Lazarus101 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you optodata for the reply,

I understand what you mean about the different events being filmed at different locations and the composite parts being different (eg drums seperate to guitars etc), makes sense that the auto sync function will struggle (surprising how good it is though!).

I'm still having trouble fine tuning the sync though, but, I think it's me being a bit pedantic with timing, take the drummer for example, using the ALT+LEFT/RIGHT ARROW method is certainly less time consuming than manually doing with mouse (thank you so much for the shortcut tip) however for my eyes it still doesnt quite match up to the movement when he hits a snare or cymbal for instance. Another half frame movement would make it perfect. I am guessing that there simply isn't that level of movement and due to technical stuff relating to framerates etc its not possible to implement an arbitrary slider that doesn't snap to frames or something.

I am new to all of this as you can probably tell from my post . Also the tip about expanding the height of the track is very useful. I think the only reason I wasn't doing that before was due to trying to navigate amongst all the tracks, the mouse middle button doesn't scroll up or down for example, so my method is to have the left drag the scroll bar on the right.

Lastly, one other thing I've noticed is when I do use auto sync, it places the tracks on new spaces, so I have to continuosly remove empty tracks, guessing there's nothing I can do about this as I assume is because of the proces of auto syncing the software has to create a new track?

Anyhow, thank you once again for your detailed reply, it was very helpful and has lessened my stress at getting this done
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

As you rightly assume, the minimum shift for a video track is 1 frame - and project frame rate (24,25,30, 50,60) - will determine the actual time that the shift can encompass.

However
Preferences>Editing>Enlarge timeline scale for audio track
gives you an enlarged timeline scale to allow an audio track shift to 1/10th of a frame

so it may be for best "effect", you also need to slide the audio track a touch to give you the precise look/feel that you need?

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator
Lazarus101 [Avatar]
[Post New]
That's brilliant, exactly what I wanted. Thank you.

Doing it this way allows me the precision I need to match up things like finger picking on guitar/bass and the clip is fully alligned with drums.
Philwild [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Hemel Hempstead, UK Joined: Oct 05, 2017 12:04 Messages: 208 Offline
[Post New]
Just another tip about the timeline. Hols Alt and turn the whell to scroll the timeline up & down
Lazarus101 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Just another tip about the timeline. Hols Alt and turn the whell to scroll the timeline up & down

That's great! Thank you!