Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
AI Style Plugins render time
[Post New]
Hello,

I have an old i7-4770 processor machine with 16GB Ram and a dedcated 2GB video card (Nvidia GT635 - ok, i know it is old) on my desktop

I am rendering a 7 minute 1080 clip with an AI Styple Plugin and it is saying 8 hours to render. I thought that might be wrong and hit transform, and yes, it going to take 8 hours.

Checking resource monitor, only 1 of 8 cores is firing at 100%.

On the transform screen I have hardware acceleration checked off, and Nvidia CUDA is selected

Is this a config I need to change?

Or is it my hardware?

Thoughts?
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Veepo -

Without trying to pass myself off as a tech type, I'd say your hardware has a LOT to do with it, especially your GPU.

To show it's hardware related, here's a test I ran on 3 different PCs, using the same original clip & adjustments/effects. The original clip was 1920x1080 .MTS & was rendered to AVC MP4.

You can see in the i7 920 GTX 260 column, that it took 2 hours+ to render that 1 minute clip with an AI effect! Your PC, rendering a 7 minute clip in 8 hours is (at least) out-performing that one! smile

I didn't do any comparison of GPU/CPU usage, but it's obvious what processes the FX more efficiently.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
[Post New]
Quote Hi Veepo -

Without trying to pass myself off as a tech type, I'd say your hardware has a LOT to do with it, especially your GPU.

To show it's hardware related, here's a test I ran on 3 different PCs, using the same original clip & adjustments/effects. The original clip was 1920x1080 .MTS & was rendered to AVC MP4.

You can see in the i7 920 GTX 260 column, that it took 2 hours+ to render that 1 minute clip with an AI effect! Your PC, rendering a 7 minute clip in 8 hours is (at least) out-performing that one! smile

I didn't do any comparison of GPU/CPU usage, but it's obvious what processes the FX more efficiently.

Cheers - Tony

Thanks for that table! Wow!
HUGE difference with the modern systems!
So I don't know if it the gfx card or processor - but likely a combination. Guess my old 2014 system needs a little updating.

Great work - really appreciated!

VeePo
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote So I don't know if it the gfx card or processor - but likely a combination. Guess my old 2014 system needs a little updating

The AI plug-ins for nVidia capability requires as a minimum graphic cards supporting CUDA 3.0 or newer versions, so the GTX260 performance column for the AI effect had nothing to do with GPU as it does not meet minimum compute capability requirement. As such, neither would your GT635.

Jeff
[Post New]

The AI plug-ins for nVidia capability requires as a minimum graphic cards supporting CUDA 3.0 or newer versions, so the GTX260 performance column for the AI effect had nothing to do with GPU as it does not meet minimum compute capability requirement. As such, neither would your GT635.

Jeff

JL_JL

Thank you very much for that info. I did not look into CUDA at all.

I did see this on the features page for this card
https://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt-635-oem/features
NVIDIA CUDA™ Technology1
NVIDIA® CUDA™ technology unlocks the power of the GPU’s processor cores to accelerate the most demanding system tasks – such as photo editing – delivering incredible performance improvements over traditional CPUs.

1 - Requires application support for CUDA technology.

But the age of this system and the performance makes me thing otherwise!

Guess it is time to upgrade! And with you advice, I will watch my video card selection a little more carefully!

Appreciate the thoughtful research!
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Thank you very much for that info. I did not look into CUDA at all.

I did see this on the features page for this card
https://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt-635-oem/features
NVIDIA CUDA™ Technology1
NVIDIA® CUDA™ technology unlocks the power of the GPU’s processor cores to accelerate the most demanding system tasks – such as photo editing – delivering incredible performance improvements over traditional CPUs.

1 - Requires application support for CUDA technology.

But the age of this system and the performance makes me thing otherwise!

Guess it is time to upgrade! And with you advice, I will watch my video card selection a little more carefully!

As mentioned prior, the minimum provided by CL for AI compatible GPU is CUDA 3.0 capability, the GT635 you reference is only CUDA 2.1 capability, so yes lacks capability per CL so the AI performance you note is your CPU.

Yes, proper performance hardware selection supporting software features can make significant difference.

Jeff
[Post New]

Yes, proper performance hardware selection supporting software features can make significant difference.

Jeff

The AI page offers NVIDIA CUDA (selectable) and OpenVINO (not selectable).
Do you know what's that for? At som epoint I thought that it can use Intel Neural Compute Stick 2. I have one, but it is not recognized... probably my setup is not correct.
https://www.amazon.com/Intel-Neural-Compute-Stick-2/dp/B07KT6361R
[Post New]

As mentioned prior, the minimum provided by CL for AI compatible GPU is CUDA 3.0 capability, the GT635 you reference is only CUDA 2.1 capability, so yes lacks capability per CL so the AI performance you note is your CPU.

Jeff

You did tell me that it was 3.0...I thought the 1 was a footnote, not a version.
I need better hardware and reading comprehension!

Thank you so much again!

If you render those clips with the higher end systems with the Nvida CUDA off, just curious how long it will take.

thanks,
[Post New]
You did tell me that it was 3.0...I thought the 1 was a footnote, not a version.
I need better hardware and reading comprehension!

Here are the supported CUDA versions:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CUDA#GPUs_supported
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote The AI page offers NVIDIA CUDA (selectable) and OpenVINO (not selectable).
Do you know what's that for? At som epoint I thought that it can use Intel Neural Compute Stick 2. I have one, but it is not recognized... probably my setup is not correct.
https://www.amazon.com/Intel-Neural-Compute-Stick-2/dp/B07KT6361R

I don't have an appropriate platform/product to test, but I'd assume anyone with a 6th to 10th generation Intel processor utilizing onboard iGPU only with PD would see OpenVINO active and selectable.

I've never seen anything yet to suggest PD or the AI Plug-ins support a Neural Compute Stick, possibly coming as CL expands critical compute intensive AI offerings.

Jeff
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote ... I'd assume anyone with a 6th to 10th generation Intel processor utilizing onboard iGPU only with PD would see OpenVINO active and selectable.

I tried the 15 second Skateboard clip with the Impressionist 2 pack and chose Painting 4.

With OpenVINO, it took 1:25 from the time I clicked on Transform Video (UHD 630 ~88%, CPU ~17%); only 17 seconds when using NVIDIA CUDA (RTX 2070 ~28%, CPU ~24%); and 6:16 when using no hardware acceleration (CPU ~80%)

It's an interesting effect:

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jun 16. 2020 00:17

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
[Post New]
I've never seen anything yet to suggest PD or the AI Plug-ins support a Neural Compute Stick, possibly coming as CL expands critical compute intensive AI offerings.
Jeff

Yeah, maybe I was confused.
PS: I don't have Intel GPU's in my Xeons...
[Post New]

I tried the 15 second Skateboard clip with the Impressionist 2 pack and chose Painting 4.

With OpenVINO, it took 1:25 from the time I clicked on Transform Video (UHD 630 ~88%, CPU ~17%); only 17 seconds when using NVIDIA CUDA (RTX 2070 ~28%, CPU ~24%); and 6:16 when using no hardware acceleration (CPU ~80%)

It's an interesting effect:

Thank you!

Wow...CUDA helps!

Well a 2080 also makes a huge difference over a GT 635....
I need to modernize...

Cool!