Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Video speed for 8mm conversions
Frank8mm [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 22, 2020 23:44 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I am scanning several thousand feet of reg 8mm and super 8mm film with a Wolverine Pro scanner. It generates MP4 files at 20 fps (fyi 1440x1080).

Can you tell me if I correctly understand the video speed conversion to use in PD365?

If the original 8mm was shot at 18 fps and is scanned at 20 fps I would set the Video Speed Adjustment in PD to 0.90 (18/20=.9).

If the original 8mm was 16 fps the adjustment would be 0.80 (16/20=..

And if the original was shot at 24 fps (as some "slow motion" and Super 8mm sound was shot) then the speed adjustment would be 1.20 (24/20=1.2).

I'm using PowerDirector to create MP4 files to distribute to family and don't know if they will play these on SmartTVs, computers or mobile devices. I'm afraid to ask, but should my Video Speed Adjustment be effected by the playback system?

Thanks much.
Frank M
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I checked the MovieMaker Pro manual and see that 20fps is the only setting available, so the speed changes you described in PD365 are correct.

Once you make that speed change and add any soundtrack, titles or other effects, the produced file will play normally no matter what type of player people view it on, including online platforms like YouTube, Facebook or Instagram.
Frank8mm [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 22, 2020 23:44 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I checked the MovieMaker Pro manual and see that 20fps is the only setting available, so the speed changes you described in PD365 are correct.

Once you make that speed change and add any soundtrack, titles or other effects, the produced file will play normally no matter what type of player people view it on, including online platforms like YouTube, Facebook or Instagram.

The Forum is a bit balky today - I didn't even know my message posted because it was still "Saving..." and searches were (are) very slow. MANY THANKS!