Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
CR3 files not shpwing GPS info yet JPG files are
Humpsterj [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 29, 2020 16:07 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Hi using the newest version of Photo Director of 11 and enjoying learning, One flaw is my GPS data is not showing on CR3 files yet the corresponding JPG has the info. I am trying to learn EXIFTOOL but its hard work is it possible to get the data natively in CR3 files?

Or if anyone knows how to export this from a JPG to CR3 file I would appreciate some help.

Thanks

J
[Post New]
Hello Humpsterj,

Welcome to the PhotoDirector forum laughing

Currently, I have no sample CR3 files containing GPS data so I'm unable to test what you're saying. Still searching...

There's plenty of evidence that the issue is far more widespread than in PhD. Adobe Lightroom/Ps users, among other software users, have reported similar issues with GPS data not being interpreted correctly (or at all).

It's my understanding that PhD, itself, makes use of ExifTool in interpreting metadata as a background process.

Using Exiftool as a standalone is quite simple (the way I use it, at least). If you download the Windows Executable from ExifTool.org you'll have exiftool(-k). Simply drop a photo onto exiftool(-k) and you'll have a display of all available exif data. There's an example (saved as a .txt) attached.

Until I'm able to locate some sample files, could you please upload a sample .CR3 & its accompanying .JPG to a shared file site such as OneDrive of Google Drive?

PIX
 Filename
ExifTool Data.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
9 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
156 time(s)
PIX YouTube channel
Humpsterj [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hello Humpsterj,

Welcome to the PhotoDirector forum laughing

Currently, I have no sample CR3 files containing GPS data so I'm unable to test what you're saying. Still searching...

There's plenty of evidence that the issue is far more widespread than in PhD. Adobe Lightroom/Ps users, among other software users, have reported similar issues with GPS data not being interpreted correctly (or at all).

It's my understanding that PhD, itself, makes use of ExifTool in interpreting metadata as a background process.

Using Exiftool as a standalone is quite simple (the way I use it, at least). If you download the Windows Executable from ExifTool.org you'll have exiftool(-k). Simply drop a photo onto exiftool(-k) and you'll have a display of all available exif data. There's an example (saved as a .txt) attached.

Until I'm able to locate some sample files, could you please upload a sample .CR3 & its accompanying .JPG to a shared file site such as OneDrive of Google Drive?

PIX

Hi sent you a one drive link the strange thing is in windows\properties\details the GPS data is only seemingly present in the JPG as soon as I use ExifTool GUI version its there in the cr3 as well. Thank you for your help
[Post New]
Hello J,

Thank you for sharing the photos on OneDrive. I can certainly confirm the issue you've reported.

GPS data is present in both the JPG & CR3, but is only displayed in the JPG in both Windows (Properties) & PhD365. GPS data from the CR3 isn't displayed. PhD reports "Not Available".

ExifToolGUI correctly shows:

GPS Version ID : 2.3.0.0
GPS Latitude Ref : North
GPS Latitude : 51.545540°
GPS Longitude Ref : West
GPS Longitude : 1.726090°
GPS Altitude Ref : Above Sea Level
GPS Altitude : 102.98 m
GPS Time Stamp : 20:14:08

I need to correct an assertion I made earlier. Adobe Lr & Ps do, in fact, display the GPS data correctly.

I will report your observations directly to the team at CL to see if a fix can be incorporated into future updates.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
Humpsterj [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hello J,

Thank you for sharing the photos on OneDrive. I can certainly confirm the issue you've reported.

GPS data is present in both the JPG & CR3, but is only displayed in the JPG in both Windows (Properties) & PhD365. GPS data from the CR3 isn't displayed. PhD reports "Not Available".

ExifToolGUI correctly shows:

GPS Version ID : 2.3.0.0
GPS Latitude Ref : North
GPS Latitude : 51.545540°
GPS Longitude Ref : West
GPS Longitude : 1.726090°
GPS Altitude Ref : Above Sea Level
GPS Altitude : 102.98 m
GPS Time Stamp : 20:14:08

I need to correct an assertion I made earlier. Adobe Lr & Ps do, in fact, display the GPS data correctly.

I will report your observations directly to the team at CL to see if a fix can be incorporated into future updates.

PIX

Thank you at least I am not going mad. I will keep checking for update info as and when. Be handy to know what CL say after you flag it to them.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 01. 2020 10:27