Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Problems with speeding up videos on timeline
Ian26 [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia Joined: May 17, 2014 08:08 Messages: 188 Offline
[Post New]
Hi there, I'm using PD18 Ultimate 18.0.2725.0.

I'm trying to make some how to videos for my Youtube channel, and there are sections where I want to speed up sections. I have tried the Video Speed Designer to do this, but can't seem to get the speed right. I have selected the clip I want to work with, clicked the Tools button, and then selected Power Tools > Video Speed.

The problem I have is that the scrubber slows down when it gets to the section I want to sped up, but the the audio appears to go out of sync when the section is completed, and then it keeps going at normal speed but the clip is still in the fast mode (7x - 10x). Also it is not a smooth running, the video either goes at the speed I require or it "jumps" around - fast, stop, slow, fast etc.

What am I doing wrong? Is there a video tutorial on how to do this?

Thanks,

Ian

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 19. 2020 21:53

IanB
PowerDirector Ultimate 18.0.3801.0 (64bit)
Dell XPS 8700, Win 8.1
4th generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4460 processor (6M Cache, up to 3.4 GHz)
Nividia GeForce 720 Version 372.54 GB Dual Channel DDR3 1600MHz (4GB x 2)
2 x 1TB 7200RPM SATA Hard D
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
What you're describing sounds typical when previewing the sped-up video on the timeline. It take a lot of CPU power to read all the compressed frames in a clip and skip to the just the ones needed to make it play faster. Most PC's won't be able to do that smoothly in real time, which is what the timeline preview does.

The best thing to do is to produce that clip using Range Select and then replace the original clip with the produced version. That way the speed-up is built-in to the clip and PD doesn't have to do anything special to play it back.

You may need to make adjustments once you see how the finished section looks and sounds, and you can use Undo to restore the original section with the existing speed edits intact, then make your adjustments and use Range Select again.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°