Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How long should beginning and ending titles be in seconds?
rschoenert [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 15, 2016 18:10 Messages: 16 Offline
[Post New]
How long should beginning and ending titles be in seconds? Robert
Warry [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: The Netherlands Joined: Oct 13, 2014 11:42 Messages: 853 Offline
[Post New]
I wonder why you ask?
Titles and Credits durations are usually defined by a number of things:

• the title text should appear long enough on screen for people to read it. In former days it was recommended to read out lout the text 3 times; to set the duration. Nowadays the time of 3 reads will be considered much too long.

• the title text could appear longer for important information (like the name of the star actress)

• when animations, creative arts and/or funny sequences are used the duration of those will also define the duration

• In commercial movies credits must be shown. To give all people credit and to show copyright information etc. When shown on TV you may have noticed that credits are cut off, or shown very, very rapidly, so that no one can really read them

• There are movies with credits at the end that go one for minutes and minutes (I believe the record is over 8 minutes?)

• You no doubt have seen at the and of movie that bloppers or other shots are shown to make up for the lengthy credit part.

I guess that answer is: that is up to you. Taking the above a bit into account and considering what timing fits your production the best.

So I wonder why you ask!
TDK1044 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Apr 11, 2019 12:27 Messages: 130 Offline
[Post New]
Quote How long should beginning and ending titles be in seconds?

Warry gives you some very good pointers. Your opening title sequence and end credit sequence should fit the rhythm of your project. If you're looking for an answer based on television shows that you've watched over the years; then I can tell you as someone who was a television director for 16 years, that an opening title sequence was typically 25 to 30 seconds, and an end credit sequence would be under 30 seconds for a 30 minute show, and under 45 seconds on a one hour show. These days, the end credit sequence is pretty much non existant due to the fact that most networks will 'squeeze and tease'. In other words, shrink the outgoing credits, and hilight the incoming show, accompanied by a voice over. Do what feels right for your project, and read aloud any captions that you put up, so that you know that your viewers have the time to read them. Good luck.laughing
rschoenert [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I wonder why you ask?
Titles and Credits durations are usually defined by a number of things:

• the title text should appear long enough on screen for people to read it. In former days it was recommended to read out lout the text 3 times; to set the duration. Nowadays the time of 3 reads will be considered much too long.

• the title text could appear longer for important information (like the name of the star actress)

• when animations, creative arts and/or funny sequences are used the duration of those will also define the duration

• In commercial movies credits must be shown. To give all people credit and to show copyright information etc. When shown on TV you may have noticed that credits are cut off, or shown very, very rapidly, so that no one can really read them

• There are movies with credits at the end that go one for minutes and minutes (I believe the record is over 8 minutes?)

• You no doubt have seen at the and of movie that bloppers or other shots are shown to make up for the lengthy credit part.

I guess that answer is: that is up to you. Taking the above a bit into account and considering what timing fits your production the best.

So I wonder why you ask!

thanks for you answer, very interesting and informative. Mostly I edit homemade videos for YouTube with the help of one other friend. It seems like the opening title screen is way to long when he does it. I can shorten it but was wondering it there is a standard for that...YouTube titles. the 3-times is a good starting point.
Thanks again for your time
Robert
rschoenert [Avatar]
[Post New]

Warry gives you some very good pointers. Your opening title sequence and end credit sequence should fit the rhythm of your project. If you're looking for an answer based on television shows that you've watched over the years; then I can tell you as someone who was a television director for 16 years, that an opening title sequence was typically 25 to 30 seconds, and an end credit sequence would be under 30 seconds for a 30 minute show, and under 45 seconds on a one hour show. These days, the end credit sequence is pretty much non existant due to the fact that most networks will 'squeeze and tease'. In other words, shrink the outgoing credits, and hilight the incoming show, accompanied by a voice over. Do what feels right for your project, and read aloud any captions that you put up, so that you know that your viewers have the time to read them. Good luck.laughing

Mostly I use a title to introduce YouTube videos and sometimes a "thanks for watching" ending title. I'm afraid that if the title is too long, people will click off the video. The videos are educational demos from our wood turning club. I will now just watch the title and determine the length and eventually come up with a kind-a standard for us.
Thanks for your quick reply, it really helped me.
Robert Robert