Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDirector Showcase - Predator-style Cloak Effect
Elynde [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 16, 2019 04:50 Messages: 31 Offline
[Post New]

This tutorial explains how to mimic the cloaking effect from the Predator movies. I prefer a more subtle displacement in this effect, but you can always add more by playing with the settings in the Abstractionism effect, and by adjusting the track opacity.

Instructions:

It takes two renders, and three layers to complete.

1st render with two layers

Track 1: Clean background without your actor. Effects are vertival stretch, squeeze, and horizontal stretch. Set values on effects to Degree and Offset of 3, and Size of 125.

Track 2: Your actor, keyed out. I did mine by making the actor layer into a mask using color director, which worked well. (Actor white, background blacked out.)

Render.

2nd render takes three layers
Track 1: Just your clean background without the actor.

Track 2: The first render file. Key out the black background on this track (easy if it is that mask-style, as you can just luma out the black.) Apply Abstractionism. Detail is 81, and Color Count is 13.

Track 3: Your actor, masked out just like in the first render. Apply Abstractionism again. Same settings as track 2.

Adjust the transparancy of tracks 2 and 3 to change how much of the effect is visible. Usually, 30% on track 2, and 25-50% on track 3, depending on your chosen background.

Render and you are done!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 29. 2020 04:20