Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Hardware acceleration makes no difference?
Brettkw [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 22, 2020 05:21 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Hi all

I am looking for some advice regarding PD 365 please. It is currently taking 11hrs to render a 3gb (H.265 HEVC file 1920x1080 24 9000 Bitrate) after some heavy editing.

My question is, when I render I have enabled Harware Video encoder and CPU usage is 50% memory usage is 26% but my GPU usage is 2% (Video encoder Win 10) does this seem correct?

Also If i disable hardware Video encoder I seem get the same results as if it was enabled.

PC Specs

CPU Ryzen 7 2700x @4ghz
GPU 1080ti
Windows 10
32gb Ram

Thanks in advance

Brett

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 22. 2020 09:04

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi all

I am looking for some advice regarding PD 365 please. It is currently taking 11hrs to render a 3gb (H.265 HEVC file 1920x1080 24 9000 Bitrate) after some heavy editing.

My question is, when I render I have enabled Harware Video encoder and CPU usage is 50% memory usage is 26% but my GPU usage is 2% (Video encoder Win 10) does this seem correct?

Also If i disable hardware Video encoder I seem get the same results as if it was enabled.

PC Specs

CPU Ryzen 7 2700x @4ghz
GPU 1080ti
Windows 10
32gb Ram

Thanks in advance

Brett

What was the "heavy editing", color corrections, stabilize? If so, probably rather normal. If it’s not a timeline edit like that and just simple cuts, transitions, and the like, the GPU usage is rather low for H.265 encoding. As a simple check I'd add just a plain clip to the timeline and encode to H.265 with a standard profile with the GPU to simply check the usage.

Jeff
[Post New]
That's not right. See below my GTX1080 encoding H.265, 4K video.

[Thumb - gpu.png]
 Filename
gpu.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
523 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
5 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 22. 2020 17:56

JamesM210 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 26, 2019 16:01 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi all

PC Specs

CPU Ryzen 7 2700x @4ghz
GPU 1080ti
Windows 10
32gb Ram

Thanks in advance

Brett

Enable Hardware Encoding
In Nvidia Control Panel set it to use the Powerdirector software , this way GPU will come into play when powerdirector goes to render/produce.
Windows 10 also has it's settings you can use to enforce a program to use the GPU.
[Post New]
Enable Hardware Encoding
In Nvidia Control Panel set it to use the Powerdirector software , this way GPU will come into play when powerdirector goes to render/produce.
Windows 10 also has it's settings you can use to enforce a program to use the GPU.

If that's the ONLY GPU his desktop has, there is no point in this advice. The software will use that GPU, it has no other choice.

On a laptop, that will still not enable GPU encoding, because that setting applies only to 3D CUDA cores , not to the encoding engine.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 22. 2020 20:16

JamesM210 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 26, 2019 16:01 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]

If that's the ONLY GPU his desktop has, there is no point in this advice. The software will use that GPU, it has no other choice.

On a laptop, that will still not enable GPU encoding, because that setting applies only to 3D CUDA cores , not to the encoding engine.

Sir,
i7 CPU's come with Intel Graphics which PowerDirector seeks to use.
Changing your settings does indeed force GPU to be used.
I Edit and Produce 4K UHD HDR Footage all the time with a Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 GPU card on my Asus GL702 Laptop.
At first it was pinning my CPU to 100% useage during rendering - until I changed the settings.
ADD the PowerDircetor Program in the Nvidia Control Panel - Use hardware encoding, otherwise PD seeks to use the CPU & it's INTERGRATED HD Graphics.
I consider my 2018 Asus ROG Laptop as the Bare minimum for editing that I do.
i7 - 6700HQ (intel HD 620 graphics) 32 Gb RAM w/ Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 Card Discrete.
But at least Now it uses the GPU for Rendering.

SOME are having the Registry issue too, where the hardware encode option has gone away;
"You probably need to change a value in your registry from 1 to 0 in Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\CyberLink\CES_FunctionLogger\DATA after your crash with that profile before Jeff corrected it for you."

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 22. 2020 21:59

Brettkw [Avatar]
[Post New]

1. Ok so I have found a difference but i would like to know why if possible? One is a non edited clip GPU is bieng used the one where the GUP is unused is the same clip but with colour correction added via color director? Am I missing something here, why would the GPU be only used on non edited clips?

Thanks again for all your advice!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 22. 2020 21:33

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Ok so I have found a difference but i would like to know why if possible? One is a non edited clip GPU is bieng used the one where the GUP is unused is the same clip but with colour correction added via color director? Am I missing something here, why would the GPU be only used on non edited clips?

I mentioned color corrections specifically in the first response. Color correction is nearly 100% CPU performed so one can't keep the GPU encode pipe full, hence the lightly loaded GPU encode state. Could also be some internal code design that has throttle points too for such operations that 100% CPU might not be achieved.

Your 50% CPU usage is probably more like 100% on physical cores as you probably have SMT activated.

Jeff
Brettkw [Avatar]
[Post New]

I mentioned color corrections specifically in the first response. Color correction is nearly 100% CPU performed so one can't keep the GPU encode pipe full, hence the lightly loaded GPU encode state. Could also be some internal code design that has throttle points too for such operations that 100% CPU might not be achieved.

Your 50% CPU usage is probably more like 100% on physical cores as you probably have SMT activated.

Jeff

Ahh ok thanks Jeff! So in hindsight dont colour correct in PD if you want quick redering times!
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Ahh ok thanks Jeff! So in hindsight dont colour correct in PD if you want quick redering times!

If you need it you need it, it's just very expensive to do in PD.

I'm not sure what your source is, but you indicated you are encoding to (H.265 HEVC file 1920x1080 24 9000 Bitrate). The 9000Kbps bitrate a little low for most source H.265 content. The only reason I mention this, if source is say 40Mbps or higher and even H.264 but you want to transcode to H.265 at your specs, you might be better off with a two-step procedure. Basically, down sample to H.265 9000Kbps first, the GTX 1080ti will be very efficient there, then use that down sampled in a new timeline as source to apply final color correction.

You might also try color correction in ColorDirector and "Produce" there to your spec and use in PD. Previous experience indicates it may not be the same performance as the same color correction ultimately applied in PD. Basically you need to play a little to see what's effective for you and your work flow and produces the quality you like. If it's entire timelines that are being color corrected, workflow approach can be very influential.

Jeff

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 23. 2020 09:13

[Post New]

Sir,
i7 CPU's come with Intel Graphics which PowerDirector seeks to use.
Changing your settings does indeed force GPU to be used.

My previous reply diferentiated between a desktop (where you can connect the monitor in whatever NVIDIA or AMD card you want to use, bypassing or even disabling the Intel GPU completely) and a laptop, where the display is permanently connected to the Intel GPU (90% of models) and use Optimus to pass trough the video from NVIDIA GPU.

However, the OP has a desktop CPU Ryzen 7 2700x (he mentined in first post). This processor has no integrated graphics.
So your laptop-based advices don't apply. At all.

PS: Some laptop models have switchable graphics inside, using an added MUX circuit, but most gaming ones don't have that expensive option. For those models it was reported numerous times here, that no matter what setting you try to use, the NVIDIA NVENC encoding circuit will not be used by the Power Director, because is not "presented" by the Intel pass-trough chip.

This message was edited 6 times. Last update was at Apr 23. 2020 09:48

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi all -

Some tests I just did here seem to bear out what Jeff & SoNic have posted above - & can I just say that I really appreciate having active forum members with such strong technical understanding. Makes me feel like I'm learning stuff!

Using a UHD HEVC clip, I produced (based on Profile Analyser) both with & without colour correction, with & without hardware video encoding checked, on two different PCs. As Jeff pointed out, with no colour correction applied the GPU is used in rendering & when colour correction is applied the work of rendering is done by the CPU.

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 24. 2020 03:29

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!