Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Dpi setting for exports
Photozilla [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 16, 2020 22:39 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
This is reagarding exports settings when preparing images for printing. From what I have read, there is no practical reason to save at more than 300 dpi. So that is what I was going to use for my large panorama images in the realm of 100 MB JPEGs. On the regular size images, of say 14 MB JPEGs, I was going to use 200 dpi export setting. Is this a good setting? Or should I use 300? Would it make any difference to a printer?
[Post New]
Hello again Photozilla,

Most of my viewing of photos is digital, rather than printed, so I typically don't bother too much about DPI settings. You're right, for printing it matters!

Take a look at the full resolution comparison image on this page.

300dpi is fairly standard for most home printers. Photos imported from my various cameras range from 72dpi (phone) to 300/350dpi (DSLRs).

Are you printing at home? or having prints done commercially? If the latter, they may have particular requirements, & I'd definitely consult the "experts".

In general, my (lay) view would be to export at the highest quality settings available, whether it's for digital or print viewing. Giving the device/printer as much photo information/detail as possible allows it to produce the best image.

If you're printing directly from PhD, you may have noticed that the resolution setting is listed as ppi. I can't explain that, as I always understood that DPI related to printing & PPI referred to digital images. Perhaps I'm mistaken (it's happened many times before!).

PIX PIX YouTube channel