Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Export vs Save as...
Ignacio18 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 15, 2020 00:00 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Hello
I'd like to know what is the difference between the options mentioned in the subject:
In the adjustments tab, on the File menu there are the Export selected photos and Save as... commands. Export is also in the right-click menu over the image being adjusted.
In the Guided (edit) tab, File menu, there are two commands, Save as... and Export selected photos . Export is also found in the right-click men.
In the Edit tab, at the left bottom of the window, there is button labeled save/share When I click this button, I get three options:

1. Save as a new photo file (isn' this the same as exporting?)

2. Save as a Photo Director Layer file (*PHI)

3. Save as an Express Template (which, BTW, is greyed out... why?)

4. Share to (with a submenu to choose from email, cyberlink cloud, director zone

No right click menu

I wanted to collect all the instances where the options for Export and Save as... are available, but I guess each has the same functionality no matter where on the program they are found. This is what I want to know.

thank you
[Post New]
Hello Ignacio18,

Welcome to the PhotoDirector forum laughing

Your question is very good. I'm sure many users would wonder about the same things. Unfortunately, the answer isn't simple to explain.

In very basic terms, you could assume that Export is the same as Save As/Save To. If you did both, you'd probably see no visual difference even at 100% zoom. In photography terms, they're not exactly the same. Depending on the adjustments or edits made & the method of output chosen, PhotoDirector uses different degrees of JPEG compression. N.B. the file settings for image compression in the Export dialogue have a significant impact!

Years ago, I looked into this and concluded that using Export is preferable to Save As because there's less compression applied. You'll find that in this Image Guide.

PhD has developed a good deal since then, so I'm in the middle of comparing output methods in each module. When I have the data in a clear form, I'll post it here. Thus far, there are some inconsistencies.

Just as one example, using a sample photo from Fuji GFX100 (11648x8736... that's 100+MP) in the Guided module:
Export: 51.2MB Compression Ratio: 5.69:1 (lower compression)
Save To: 22.5MB Compression Ratio: 12.96:1 (higher compression)

About your question regarding the Edit module:
Save as a new photo file (isn' this the same as exporting?)
Save as a Photo Director Layer file (*PHI)
Save as an Express Template (which, BTW, is greyed out... why?)
Share to (with a submenu to choose from email, cyberlink cloud, director zone

Save as a new photo is effectively the same as exporting (correct).
Save as PhotoDirector Layer (*PHI) is only for when you want to use that photo in another Layers project.
Save as Express Template will be greyed out if you haven't applied photo or texture layers. If you have, it can be saved as a template to use on other photos.
Share to would be fairly obvious to a person of your perspicacity laughing

PIX PIX YouTube channel
Ignacio18 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 15, 2020 00:00 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you very much! winkwink