Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How do I convert a DVD to an MKV, AVI or MP4/M4V?
Delosky [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 02, 2020 01:04 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I am currently in the process of ripping old DVDs onto my NAS to be played on my Roku TV devices (and maybe eventually other TV platforms in the future). I purchased a Pioneer external optical drive to do it and it came with Cyberlink Suite 10 which I just upgraded only Power2Go to v13.

When I go to rip a DVD, the only option I can find is to "Convert to Mobile" and import all the VOB files. After that, I only get a limited subset of formats - based on mobile device carriers like Apple or Sony, etc. and within those a limited subset of video quality and usually no better than 640x480 (at least that I can tell).

How can I just choose the video format I want to rip to and the video quality? I need to make sure I rip it to the format I need for Roku to read it (H.264/AVC (.MKV, .MP4, .MOV)). What would be the best settings to get the best quality and in the format my Roku TV can read?

EDIT: I've found the "Generic" setting where you can do things like up-convert. For a standard DVD that is only supposed to be 480i, what would be the best combination of settings to get the best video quality? Rip at 640x360 and then use TrueTheater to upconvert quality? Or burn at like a 1280x720 and not do TrueTheater settings?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 02. 2020 08:24

Jets2011
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Sep 29, 2006 05:26 Messages: 760 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

You can't rip commercial DVDs in Power2Go. You can however convert existing video files on your hard drive to other video file formats. If you have files to convert using the option you mention, select "Generic" for the device brand and model and then you can output MP4 videos in up to 4K format.

Dave
JamesM210 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 26, 2019 16:01 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I am currently in the process of ripping old DVDs onto my NAS to be played on my Roku TV devices (and maybe eventually other TV platforms in the future). I purchased a Pioneer external optical drive to do it and it came with Cyberlink Suite 10 which I just upgraded only Power2Go to v13.

When I go to rip a DVD, the only option I can find is to "Convert to Mobile" and import all the VOB files. After that, I only get a limited subset of formats - based on mobile device carriers like Apple or Sony, etc. and within those a limited subset of video quality and usually no better than 640x480 (at least that I can tell).

How can I just choose the video format I want to rip to and the video quality? I need to make sure I rip it to the format I need for Roku to read it (H.264/AVC (.MKV, .MP4, .MOV)). What would be the best settings to get the best quality and in the format my Roku TV can read?

EDIT: I've found the "Generic" setting where you can do things like up-convert. For a standard DVD that is only supposed to be 480i, what would be the best combination of settings to get the best video quality? Rip at 640x360 and then use TrueTheater to upconvert quality? Or burn at like a 1280x720 and not do TrueTheater settings?

I picked up an Elgato Video Capture Device to get the video from a vcr etc. then I'll use Cybrlink to edit them.