Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Creating video preview thumbnails
ErikV [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 13, 2020 15:52 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Dear people at CyberLink Forum

Let me first tell that I am a newbie to video. As a Teacher I want to produce some education-videos for my website. I can of course shoot mp4 with my digital camera and insert the files on a webpage. This approach is however not preferable. If the video is let's say 20 minutes in duration and the user wants to go quickly through it to find the place, where he/she want to listen. Then it can become quite cumbersome. Then I was inspired by how they do on YouTube. After opening the video, a thumbnail appears, when the cursor is touching the "timeline". That way the user can quickly find the appropriate moment to begin watching the video.

Now, I don't know if these thumbnails have been created as part of the video or they are activated by some html/javascript code on the website? Anyway does PowerDirector have a tool to produce such a video with thumbnails eventually by creating the necessary code for the website?

NB! I know "video preview thumbnails" sometimes also might refer to the process when the user hover over a thumbnail for a video before the video is opened, which can create a short series of thumbnails showing the content of the video. I am however interested in the thumbnails being shown when the video is opened/running and the cursor points on the "timeline".

I hope someone can help clarify something here ...

NB! At the moment I have a license for PwerDirector 15.

Regards,

Erik V.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
It would be helpful if you post some links to webpages that have those thumbnails that you are talking about. You can also let us know the hosting websites that have them available.
ErikV [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote It would be helpful if you post some links to webpages that have those thumbnails that you are talking about. You can also let us know the hosting websites that have them available.

Hi Tomasc. Thanks for your quick reaction. I have attached a screen image.

Erik V.
[Thumb - video_preview.png]
 Filename
video_preview.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
891 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
8 time(s)
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Those thumbnails appear on all the videos that I have produced and uploaded to YouTube. Just use YouTube to host your videos.
ErikV [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Those thumbnails appear on all the videos that I have produced and uploaded to YouTube. Just use YouTube to host your videos.

Yes but I wanted to have those videos on my own homepage. Rights etc. ...
If anybody knows how to produce those thumbnails, I would like to know.

Regards,

Erik V.
PepsiMan
Senior Contributor Location: Clarksville, TN Joined: Dec 29, 2010 01:20 Messages: 1054 Offline
[Post New]
like tomasc said the thumbnails are part of the video and can not be recreated seperately; however, you can annotate a time and a description so that your viewers can go directly like so player x 02:34 , player y 05:55 , player z 09:30 etc.

marked times will appear in blue in the description/comment section of the video being played.

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan
'garbage in garbage out'
[Thumb - 20200315_1042.jpg]
 Filename
20200315_1042.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
time marker
 Filesize
714 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
3 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 15. 2020 11:45

'no bridge too far'

Yashica Electro 8 LD-6 Super 8mm
Asrock TaiChi X470, AMD R7 2700X, W7P 64, MSI GTX1060 6GB, Corsair 16GB/RAM
Dell XPS L702X i7-2860QM, W7P / W10P 64, Intel HD3000/nVidia GT 550M 1GB, Micron 16GB/RAM
Samsung Galaxy Note3/NX1
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Now, I don't know if these thumbnails have been created as part of the video or they are activated by some html/javascript code on the website? Anyway does PowerDirector have a tool to produce such a video with thumbnails eventually by creating the necessary code for the website.

The short answer to your questions are that PD's job is to produce your video, and has doesn't have any utility for generating "live" thumbnails; YT does provide that feature as part of their website script.

To do that on your own website, you would need to build or utilize a similar script. If you web page could also accept clicks with an embedded start time, PepsiMans' example would work with text or fixed thumbnails.