Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Fade in/out video and audio
EdK [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 28, 2020 06:48 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
Hello, I'm a new PowerDirector 18/365 user.

I have a project that contains several video clips (with audio) and wish to apply a fade in and out transition (both video and audio) between each clip.

I found a transition that will do that but it only affects the video portion of the clip. It leaves the audio untouched.

I don't want to overlap or crossfade. Just a simple fade out the end of clip 1, fade in clip 2, fade out clip 2, fade in clip 3, fade out clip 3, etc

Is there a transition that will perform both simultaneously? If so, where can I find it?

Thanks for your assistance.

EdK
TDK1044 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Apr 11, 2019 12:27 Messages: 130 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hello, I'm a new PowerDirector 18/365 user.

I have a project that contains several video clips (with audio) and wish to apply a fade in and out transition (both video and audio) between each clip.

I found a transition that will do that but it only affects the video portion of the clip. It leaves the audio untouched.

I don't want to overlap or crossfade. Just a simple fade out the end of clip 1, fade in clip 2, fade out clip 2, fade in clip 3, fade out clip 3, etc

Is there a transition that will perform both simultaneously? If so, where can I find it?

Thanks for your assistance.

EdK

The fastest way to do this would be to open the audio mixer, select the point on the TL for the start of your audio fade, and then click the 'fade in/fade out' triangle. Your fade in or out will start at that point. Just as easily, you could create a new keyframe on the TL to achieve the same end result.
pmikep [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Nov 26, 2016 22:51 Messages: 285 Offline
[Post New]
I will say for the record that little erognomic things like this is one of the reasons I went back to my old "magic" editor. While my old editor is not anywhere near as fast as PD when it comes to rendering, I can make an argument that I actually save time while editing long projects. It's certainly not nearly as frustrating, having to map audio fades to the built-in video fades in PD.

(Of course another reason for holding off on updating to PD18 is because I won't upgrade until the bugs are fixed.)
EdK [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 28, 2020 06:48 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for your reply.

I just find it odd that that there doesn't seem to be a transition that already exists that can do this.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Applying the standard Fade tranistion to the start and end of the adjoining clips will do exactly what you want for the video parts (which may be what you originally referred to), and you can do the same for the audio tracks by applying the Constant Gain or Constant Power audio-only transitions.

This limitation of audio- or video-only behavior only occurs when you apply transitions to the ends of clips. All transitions will blend both A and V when placed across clips, whether in cross or overlap mode.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
AVPlayVideo
Senior Contributor Location: Home Joined: Apr 06, 2016 19:03 Messages: 703 Offline
[Post New]
Transition Fade, PD18 / 365
Some ways to apply transition to video and audio.
In the video follow the movement of the mouse.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Mar 14. 2020 17:53

[Post New]
Quote Transition Fade, PD18 / 365
Some ways to apply transition to video and audio.
In the video follow the movement of the mouse.

But my PD 365 only does the video portion now. It did not use to do this. Why is it only allowing for video and not the audio as the YT video shows??
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote But my PD 365 only does the video portion now. It did not use to do this. Why is it only allowing for video and not the audio as the YT video shows??

I don't know what you're seeing, but there haven't been any changes made to this basic editing function. In the below screenshot you can see that an audio transition was automatically applied to both Overlap and Cross transitions:

A screenshot or screen recording would probably help a great deal
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote But my PD 365 only does the video portion now. It did not use to do this. Why is it only allowing for video and not the audio as the YT video shows??

If you have the default transition type set to "Cross" in pref you get this video only behavior. If you change to "Overlap" in pref you will get audio transition automatically applied, then you can manually change to "Cross" and maintain.

Jeff
[Post New]

If you have the default transition type set to "Cross" in pref you get this video only behavior. If you change to "Overlap" in pref you will get audio transition automatically applied, then you can manually change to "Cross" and maintain.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, appreciate it. Saw that in the preferences. Thanks for the reply