Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Save Transitions?
Insane_Diego [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 18, 2009 21:00 Messages: 18 Offline
[Post New]
I'm pretty sure I know the answer but I haven't seen it addressed in a couple of years so I'll ask it again.

I've modified the Blur transition to be a specific duration and added some keyframes. I'm going to use this over and over again on many projects. Being able to save this would be a godsend. Best I can tell, I can only save alpha transitions correct?

I can create a project of nothing but transitions, essentially making a library, so I can copy and paste when I start a new project. The downside to this is I have to close the current project, open up the transition library project, copy the transition and then reopen my current project because I can only have one copy of PowerDirector open at a time. This is probably faster, and certainly less error-prone than trying to recreate them but...
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I can think of two simpler approaches off the top of my head, but I also have two significant questions:

The first way is to modify your stated approach and use Nested Project to insert your transitions-only project into your current project's timeline. That way, you just click down into the transitions project and click back up into the main project as needed.

The second way is related to my first question, which is how did you modify the default Blur transition?

PD will let you modify transitions downloaded from DZ and (as you mentioned) allow you to create an alpha transition. Either way, once you're in the Transition Designer you can save as many variations as you like. However, I don't see how you could have edited the default Blur transition without using a 3rd party app (which would have certainly let you save the new version).

So the other approach would be to find a similar transition on the DirectorZone website, then download, install, modify and save it so it's available for all future projects.

My other question/concern is that I don't see how you'd be able to copy/paste transitions at all. They're not standalone entities like clips or titles, and they have to be dragged from the library onto the desired clips on the timeline. Maybe I'm missing something, but it would help if you explained your process so we're both on the same page.

If you were instead just hoping you could use copy/paste, then the only real solution would be my 2nd suggestion.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Insane_Diego [Avatar]
[Post New]
First, thank you for your reply. It definitely gave me a thing or two to think about. Yes, let's get on the same page because I'm guessing I'm not doing anything you don't already know.

To modify any transition, drop it on your timeline and double click it or click Modify. From there you can set Keyframes. I set a Keyframe to be slightly blurred at the start and grossly blurred on the last keyframe.

You can copy and paste the transitions also but I think I understand where your confusion is. I'm using it as a post clip transition which is to say, I've dropped it on the FX line so it doesn't span clips. You can then right-click to Copy. I see that option is grayed out if I'm using it as a true, multi-clip transition.

I'll have a look at DZ and see if there is something like what I need. Hopefully, it's as simple as your nested project but I haven't got into that area so I have no idea how that works. I'll look into it.
[Thumb - 2020-02-23_14-25-27.jpg]
 Filename
2020-02-23_14-25-27.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
99 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
5 time(s)
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote First, thank you for your reply. It definitely gave me a thing or two to think about. Yes, let's get on the same page because I'm guessing I'm not doing anything you don't already know.

You'd be guessing wrong, as I've never seen a transition be allowed to be placed on a track on its own.

In fact, I was just about to make a video showing that when it dawned on me what the problem is: although you're using Blur as a transition and you also posted with that description, what you're actually working with is an effect from FX Room!

It was hard to figure out because there's also a Blur transition, but now I understand what's happening on your end cool

So, the actual question is how to save a specifically edited FX, and the easiest way to do that is with the nested project idea. Give that a try, and see how that works.

Also, you have a choice in how to handle inserted project content. The way I described it is that the project will stay in its own container on the main timeline, but its content will actually be inserted into your final video if you don't remove it before producing.

Another way to insert the project is as regular timeline content (expanded project). That may be just as easy for you, as long as you place it out of the way and remember to delete everything you placed there before producing. You can set the insert project behavior here:

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 23. 2020 19:03

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Insane_Diego [Avatar]
[Post New]
Oh my. I didn't realize there were two versions. I think I started with the transition and somehow found the fx. That being said, I still think I would need to have some saved transitions. I'd like them to have a certain duration and setting. Apparently Keyframes are not possible on a "true" transition (at least Blur of which I'm looking at now).

I looked at the nested project earlier and it didn't seem to make sense. What I would use a nested project for is something like my standard intro. Something self-contained. That being said, you cannot drop an fx on an empty timeline. You need content. If the intent is to blur a clip in the main project...well, I don't even know where to start. I'm not sure I need you to take the time to explain it (right now) but I appreciate the nice detailed answers.

I'm rereading your message. If I understand it correctly, I can drop in the expanded project, which would have the effect I want, and I could then do a copy/paste. Eventually, I'd remove the project as I didn't want it rendered (because it would have content only for the sake of getting the effect to render). Did I get that right? I think I could live with that as my project would have a very specific name to make it easier to find.