Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Creating Straight Edge with Selection Tool
cotsy [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 22, 2018 12:21 Messages: 45 Offline
[Post New]
I have a product image of a candy box and want to cut out the background. I am using the smart brush selection tool but it creates a jagged edge along the straight edge of the box that has low lighting. Is there a way to create a strait selection edge?
[Post New]
Hello cotsy,

I'm sure many users have come across this same issue. I certainly have. When I do, I have to admit I "go off-shore" & use graphics software to complete the task.

In the combined screenshots below, you can see that the edge selected using the Intelligent Selection brush is unable generate a truly straight edge, unless it's graphically generated rather than a photo.

My workaround is (using graphics software) to draw (using line tools) a crisp edge on the object then use transparency tools to remove the background. I was going to attach the .png generated in PhotoDirector & the other generated in graphics software, but wasn't able to. They're uploaded to Google Drive instead.

PhD .png file
Graphics app .png file

PhD does some amazing things but, I'm afraid, this particular feature doesn't meet all requirements.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
cotsy [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 22, 2018 12:21 Messages: 45 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks
I created rectangles either before or after cutout to clean up the edges. Seems like there should be a way to create a staight line with the selection tools.