Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDVD 14 - Switches from HDR to SBR support - Playback on HDR Display
stateofjustin [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 10, 2020 17:51 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Have a Lenovo Yoga 7xx series, meets all requirements and generally permits playback of 4K discs without issue...

-except-

Switches from HDR to SDR, despite launch of program directly to a (USB-C based HDMI port connected) 4k HDR TV (initially, was on the laptop display and dragged to 2nd display).

Playback seems iffy too, despite being highest spec Yoga 7xx laptop w/i7 QC@2.88gHz, 12GB DDR, 256GB SSD - Though as I recall from the previously completely successful playback on the laptop's display (4k, SDR), playback was previously without issue (will re-test).

Did get messages regarding display frequency 'differences' (between display 1 & 2, I reckon), not sure why it's an issue if the main monitor isn't playing anything back... but after accepting 'adjustment' playback ceased functioning.

Can a 2nd monitor (65" 4k HDR) be the working target display without issue?

Can it run in HDR if the laptop's display is SDR?

Can provide specs and logs, though as I'm not getting errors or crashes I'm not sure they're helpful.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 11. 2020 04:39

QC2.0 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 27, 2016 04:02 Messages: 610 Offline
[Post New]
powerdvd 14 does not support HDR video playback, and it does not support the downsacle conversion feature on HDR video for displaying on a SDR monitor. You might see the video color all washed out on the playback screen.

For your screen frequency concern, I don't know what condition you are talking about exactly. If you launched powerdvd to play videos with your multiple monitors setup, I would suggest you not drag the playback window between monitors when the video is playing. It would easily cause playback instability or unexpected issues you don't like.

Do it (drag playback window to your target screen) before you start the video playback.
stateofjustin [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote *powerdvd 14 does not support HDR video playback, and it does not support the downsacle conversion feature on HDR video for displaying on a SDR monitor. You might see the video color all washed out on the playback screen.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

*What is your source for that info? Per CyberLink, that source is incorrect regarding both statements.

Please see the attached PowerDVD 14 MQ's for 4k Playback. The req's for 4k & HDR are explicitly listed.

When beginning playback, you receive a warning that playback on an SDR display will affect quality. You then must acknowledge by pressing 'OK', then it plays. It would be completely worthless if it couldn't, as virtually all 4k discs have HDR data.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

For your screen frequency concern, I don't know what condition you are talking about exactly. If you launched powerdvd to play videos with your multiple monitors setup, I would suggest you not drag the playback window between monitors when the video is playing. It would easily cause playback instability or unexpected issues you don't like.

*Do it (drag playback window to your target screen) before you start the video playback.

*As stated in my question, PDVD was always (since before the issue) started on the 2nd monitor.

Initially of course, after setup and on the first couple of runs, it was started on the laptop's monitor. After that, and before the first playback of a 4k disc, PDVD was closed/restarted on the 2nd (it now defaults to opening on the second when attached). I would expect problems after dragging a 'live' playback window from one display to the other.

I don't think the frequency mismatch message is from PDVD, it's probably from Windows 10 - It happened w/playback of the 4k BD-ROM was started on the 2nd monitor - As such, it isn't due to movement of the program from display' 1' to '2'.

I appreciate the attempt to help, but your answers (to either problem) are demonstrably incorrect.
[Thumb - 4k_Reqs.jpg]
 Filename
4k_Reqs.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
PowerDVD 14 - Minimum Requirements for 4k Playback
 Filesize
498 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
8 time(s)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Feb 13. 2020 21:16

stateofjustin [Avatar]
[Post New]
Don't know if it's the sole reason for the issue, but I found the USB-C to HDMI adapter used can impact HDR playback capability (well, obviously it can affect all aspects of playback capability - most adapters will play SDR 4k video w/o issue).

There appears to be some conflicting information with regards to what exactly allows HDR support, when it comes to adapters and the hardware MQ's specified by CyberLink though.

Keepin' on it.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 13. 2020 21:23