Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PhD 11 crashes frequently
Dalstar09 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 18, 2014 20:45 Messages: 19 Offline
[Post New]
Anyone else experiencing crashes on Win 10 machines. I upgraded from PhD 8 to PhD 11 a few months ago. I had no issues with 8 but with 11, I have frequent crashes. Not sure what is causing. Thoughts?
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
You didn't define what "crashing" means. To me, crashing means that you start PhD and it suddenly exits on its own. If that's the case, you may want to uninstall it and try reinstalling it again.

If that doesn't work, or if instead PhD is hanging/stuck and eventually you get a Windows message about the program not responding, then you may actually have an issue with the .phd database file.

Please read through this thread for a quick way to test that, and also a more detailed list of steps if you want/need to try and recover the original .phd file.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 28. 2020 22:20

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Dalstar09 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yes, I could have been bit more descriptive. By "crashing" I meant that while in the middle of my edit, the PhD window will disappear and within seconds my computer will show a screen saying that an error occurred and needs to restart. This has happened about a dozen times in the past 3 or 4 months and seems to happen after I've made a number of edits to image. It is possible that I had several other windows open such as streaming music or youtube while editing. I guess that could compound the issue I suppose. When I upgraded, I did pay for the back up disc so I may end up removing the program and reloading. Would this be recommended?
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I think that uninstalling/reinstalling is a good thing to try.

Since you're able to use the program overall, but it crashes in the midst of editing, it may help to see the details of your system and how it's configured. Please follow the steps in the << READ ME >> guide at the top of the PhD forum's index page and attach the DxDiag results. It would also help if you typed in or attached a screenshot of the exact version and SR number, which will look something like this:

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Dalstar09 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Here is my DxDiag. I hope this is what was needed. The PhD version is 11.0.2307.0 (64 bit) Ultra. SR PTD190903-01
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
70 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
301 time(s)
optodata
[Post New]
Thanks very much for the details. If you're running the stand-alone (non-subscription) version of PhD 11 Ultra, you're at the latest release.

However, your nVidia RTX2070 video driver is many months out of date. I use the latest Studio driver (441.66 from December), and there's a newer Game Ready version (441.87) from early January. Updating to one of those may help.

Also, you've had several crashes of LightingService.exe (shown in the final lines of the DxDiag file). This is the code that runs the colored LEDs on your motherboard, and you can remove it unless you really like that sort of thing. In that case, I'd recommend getting the latest version from ASUS.

I don't know if these crashes are related in any way to the problems you're having with PhD, but getting rid of them is a good thing no matter what. Along the same lines of thinking, there are a couple of system-related crashes shown in the results, and you may want to run the two commands shown in bold in this post to see if there are any issues with Win10's core files.

YouTube/optodata