Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
"Old Movie" effect - color version?
David_D [Avatar]
Member Joined: Dec 10, 2019 10:03 Messages: 53 Offline
[Post New]
Hello - I'm wanting to add an 'old movie' type effect - with the look of scratched film and/or small white dots, etc. Is 'old film the only option for this type of effect? I find when I use old fim, it turns my color clip to Black and White! Hey - I dont want it to look that old! I'd like to have my clip remain color. Is there a way to get that type of effect and maintain color?

Thanks,

(power director 365 and 15)
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hello - I'm wanting to add an 'old movie' type effect - with the look of scratched film and/or small white dots, etc. Is 'old film the only option for this type of effect? I find when I use old fim, it turns my color clip to Black and White! Hey - I dont want it to look that old! I'd like to have my clip remain color. Is there a way to get that type of effect and maintain color?

Thanks,

(power director 365 and 15)

As part of PD15 you should have "NewBlue Old TV" effect. It has lots of controls for you to play with to get desired amount of oldness and it maintains color.

Jeff
David_D [Avatar]
[Post New]

As part of PD15 you should have "NewBlue Old TV" effect. It has lots of controls for you to play with to get desired amount of oldness and it maintains color.

Jeff

Hi Jeff - Thaks for the reply. Looking under "Fx", I'm not seeing that effect. Am I lookin in the wrong place?
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi Jeff - Thaks for the reply. Looking under "Fx", I'm not seeing that effect. Am I lookin in the wrong place?

Yes, it would be in "Fx", it was part of the Essentials V package as shown in the screen shot.

It was packaged with PD15 Director Suite or Ultimate Suite. If you just had PD15 Ultimate or less you may not have it.

Jeff
[Thumb - PD15_NBOldTV.png]
 Filename
PD15_NBOldTV.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
1027 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
6 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 21. 2020 20:31

pmikep [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Nov 26, 2016 22:51 Messages: 285 Offline
[Post New]
I have PD 15 Ultra and when I search for "Old" in Fx, Old Movie shows.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I have PD 15 Ultra and when I search for "Old" in Fx, Old Movie shows.

Try the Fine Noise fx.
pmikep [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Nov 26, 2016 22:51 Messages: 285 Offline
[Post New]
Fine Noise Fx is there too on my PD 15 Ultra.

I can't tell if it's a NewBlue effect. Same with Old Film Fx.

Interestingly, tho, between the time of my first post and this post, there is now an Nvidia icon on the effects. Says that "This effect supports CUDA accleration."

This even tho I'm using a late Nvidia driver (older than 411.x), which is not supported in PD15 for encoding proper.
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
David_D, there is also a "Vitascene Filter" found in Fx that has an "Old Film" filter grouping that has "TV #523" that is rather adjustable too that may meet your needs. It should be available in your PD18 and possibly in PD15 depending on your particular version.

Jeff
David_D [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks one and all for the helpful suggestions! I have PD 15 Ultimate. If there were available additional free downloads, I don't think I downloaded them at the time I bought the product - I was just trying to do some basic stuff. I'm not finding any (free) downloads now.
Here's what I show on PD15: (see photo)

Jeff - I'm not finding the "Vitascene Filter" - is this an add on your purchased?

I guess my origional question is moot - I do have 365 now on my PC (was testing on my laptop and didn't realize I could have it on two machines) and it has some features. On 365, I've found "BBC film damage", witch gets the job done with toned down color - which works ok.

However: Here's a hijack of my own thread! If I use the, say 'BBC Film damage' or any other, i can't seem to make the effect fade in and out. So the transition from the effect to "normal" or to another effect is a abrupt change. Is there a way to have these effects fade in and out (when on the the Fx timeline), or conversely, do I need to break up the video into sections, with a effect for each section - and then use the 'enable fade in and fade out' on the movie timeline? That seems silly and super labor intensive - so I'm guessing I've missed something simple?

Thanks again One and all! I've used this program for years, but never really went beyond basics.
[Thumb - Screenshot (5).jpg]
 Filename
Screenshot (5).jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
319 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
2 time(s)
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote However: Here's a hijack of my own thread! If I use the, say 'BBC Film damage' or any other, i can't seem to make the effect fade in and out. So the transition from the effect to "normal" or to another effect is a abrupt change. Is there a way to have these effects fade in and out (when on the the Fx timeline), or conversely, do I need to break up the video into sections, with a effect for each section - and then use the 'enable fade in and fade out' on the movie timeline? That seems silly and super labor intensive - so I'm guessing I've missed something simple?

Thanks again One and all! I've used this program for years, but never really went beyond basics.

Using keyframes is one possibility.
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Jeff - I'm not finding the "Vitascene Filter" - is this an add on your purchased?

I guess my origional question is moot - I do have 365 now on my PC (was testing on my laptop and didn't realize I could have it on two machines) and it has some features. On 365, I've found "BBC film damage", witch gets the job done with toned down color - which works ok.

"Vitascene Filter" was a separate download provided by CL as part of the original purchase and original download links. It is a add on (not a CL product), but not something I added on, it is part of PD15 Director Suite, Ultimate Suite, or Ultimate provided by CL.

You won't have the "NewBlue Old TV" effect, even in your 365 as it was part of CL offer of Essentials V which is not included with PD18 but was included free with prior versions of PD, like PD15 Director Suite or Ultimate Suite. You should however have the "Vitascene Filters" if installed with your 365 version.

Jeff