Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How to make smooth transition if I replace the sky in the nature (forest-leaves) video
eki [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 21, 2018 08:24 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
How do smooth the edges of the video that are really rough, pixelated, awkward, not a smooth line. I have a video of the lake with woods and sky in the distance. I want to replace the sky with other picture/video with a mask.

But there are many leaves and sharp edges - how do I make a smooth transition between them - not to look unnatural.
Something like a feather/opacity tool in photoshop.

Thanks!
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Depending on how precise you're hoping to be, and how complex the shape of the boundary is, the easiest/quickest approach would be to use a mask with a feathered edge on the primary forest clip, which would let you fade/blend to a background image.

You don't mention if the lake & forest clip has motion or not, and it's possible that you'd need to make a custom mask shape and also use keyframes to track the contents in the main clip. It may also be possible to use a color swap to create a green/yellow screen area where you want the new content to go, and then chroma key that out to add the new image.

Only the first suggestion is basic editing, though, and more advanced techniques might be needed to really address the jaggedness and difficulty in avoiding artifacts. They will also require significantly more editing time, not to mention the time needed to learn how to use them effectively, so on some level, you'll have to balance "good enough" with how much time and effort you're willing to expend to get it nearly perfect.

A screenshot of the section of video you're looking to transform would be very helpful for forum members to make the best suggestions. Save the sacreenshot as an image and then upload it using this button below the forum's text box:

eki [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 21, 2018 08:24 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Depending on how precise you're hoping to be, and how complex the shape of the boundary is, the easiest/quickest approach would be to use a mask with a feathered edge on the primary forest clip, which would let you fade/blend to a background image.

You don't mention if the lake & forest clip has motion or not, and it's possible that you'd need to make a custom mask shape and also use keyframes to track the contents in the main clip. It may also be possible to use a color swap to create a green/yellow screen area where you want the new content to go, and then chroma key that out to add the new image.

Only the first suggestion is basic editing, though, and more advanced techniques might be needed to really address the jaggedness and difficulty in avoiding artifacts. They will also require significantly more editing time, not to mention the time needed to learn how to use them effectively, so on some level, you'll have to balance "good enough" with how much time and effort you're willing to expend to get it nearly perfect.

A screenshot of the section of video you're looking to transform would be very helpful for forum members to make the best suggestions. Save the sacreenshot as an image and then upload it using this button below the forum's text box:

Thank you very much,

Please see two short YouTube video examples that I want to combine. The sky from the first video to replace with the sky in the Lake video, as it is more dramatic.

Yes, some branches are moving, and I would like to be precise as it will be You Tube video with my music in the background

Sky:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUMUFffRFmI&feature=youtu.be

Rockwood Lake:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=110XiM2LLdg&feature=youtu.be

Regards,

Marijana
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
As a first step, I think you'll want to stabilize the lake video. It looks like it was handheld, and tracking the uneven, slightly jerky motion to keep the sky in sync adds quite a bit more time and effort. If you'd like to keep the motion, then plan on adding keyframes for the mask and the sky clip every time the camera shifts.

I think you'd be able to use a custom mask in the shape of the silhouette of the trees and mountains. You can take a screenshot of the stabilized clip and use an editor like Paint.net or GIMP to turn that into a fairly sharp mask. You can then import it into PD's Mask Designer and adjust the feathering so that there aren't any obvious edges.

I imagine that you'd get really good results with that

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°