Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
i7 10TH generation question
Johnkl [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 07, 2017 13:48 Messages: 43 Offline
[Post New]
I'm in the process of lookiing for a new laptop .
I can see that the latest version support Intel i7 gen 10 with enhanced encorder support

If I browse the next and try to compare the latest Intel CPU's it seems that having more cores if betther that using latest 10th generation if CPU

Core I7 -1068G7 (Icelake 4 Cores/8 Threads 64 graphics execution units)

Core i7 10710U (Corenet Lake 6 Cores/12 theads 24 Graphics execution units)

What is optimal for CyberLink ?
[Post New]
Quote I'm in the process of lookiing for a new laptop .
I can see that the latest version support Intel i7 gen 10 with enhanced encorder support

If I browse the next and try to compare the latest Intel CPU's it seems that having more cores if betther that using latest 10th generation if CPU

Core I7 -1068G7 (Icelake 4 Cores/8 Threads 64 graphics execution units)

Core i7 10710U (Corenet Lake 6 Cores/12 theads 24 Graphics execution units)

What is optimal for CyberLink ?

The "Graphics Execution Units" numbers are irrelevant for PowerDirector, because they are not used during the decoding/encodig process, they are used only in 3D games.
The decoder/encoder is a separate hardware block on the CPU die, and it's capabilities are listed here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Quick_Sync_Video#Hardware_decoding_and_encoding

However, CPU cores are very usefull in a NLE software as Power Director.

The 1068G7 is not released yet. 1065G7 base clock being only 1.3GHz makes it a lousy processor for multiple threads apps like PowerDirector. Those are good for internet browsing and word editing.

The 10710U variant is even weaker as processing power.1.1GHz will be absolutelly dismal.
Actually any laptop is weak in serious video editing. Low power laptops like the ones that would be using above CPU's are even worse.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 02. 2020 09:24

Johnkl [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 07, 2017 13:48 Messages: 43 Offline
[Post New]

The "Graphics Execution Units" numbers are irrelevant for PowerDirector, because they are not used during the decoding/encodig process, they are used only in 3D games.
The decoder/encoder is a separate hardware block on the CPU die, and it's capabilities are listed here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Quick_Sync_Video#Hardware_decoding_and_encoding

However, CPU cores are very usefull in a NLE software as Power Director.

The 1068G7 is not released yet. 1065G7 base clock being only 1.3GHz makes it a lousy processor for multiple threads apps like PowerDirector. Those are good for internet browsing and word editing.

The 10710U variant is even weaker as processing power.1.1GHz will be absolutelly dismal.
Actually any laptop is weak in serious video editing. Low power laptops like the ones that would be using above CPU's are even worse.

today I 'm using Xeon E3 workstation, but this definitly not portable, so could you recommend any laptop that will do without breking any privat persons budget
[Post New]
The question is why do you need to have a portable editing station... most of the video files can be brought back home to be edited and eventually posted on Internet.

If you really need a portable editing station, I would look at an used workstation laptop, something like the Dell Precision M75x0 or M77x0 lines. Those usually have professional level GPUs that can be used to hardware accelerate encoding (nvidia Quadro, AMD WX).
Used items on eBay can be more price effective ($500-600), compared with new laptops ($1000-2000). Not so effective when compared to a desktop though.

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at Jan 02. 2020 12:34

TDK1044 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Apr 11, 2019 12:27 Messages: 130 Offline
[Post New]
I use a Laptop for editing with PD18, and it handles the editing and the rendering very well. My spes are...
CPU: 2.2GHz Intel Core i7-8750H (hexa-core, 9MB cache, up to 4.1GHz) Graphics: Intel UHD Graphics 630; Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 (6GB GDDR5) RAM: 16GB DDR4 (2,666MHz)