Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
GoPro Max 360 Video Import for Reframing
Back2TheBike [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 26, 2019 04:20 Messages: 33 Offline
[Post New]
I've bought a GoPro Max to use as a 360 cam on my motorcycle vlog.

The aim was to shoot in 360 then reframe at the desktop to show an undistorted (ie 360 no fish eye effect) standard 16:9 view (say pointing ahead of me up the road, then turning back to show me on the bike).

Problem is I have a Windows 10 PC and Gopro haven't published their desktop software yet so I can't get the footage into PowerDirector for editing. The GoPro app on my new Samsung S5e freezes when I attempt to open 360 media.

Is anyone aware if PowerDirector (I currently use PD 15) has any facility to import 360 footage so it can be reframed as a standard 16:9 aspect? Something idiot proof would be really helpful!

best regards to all.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Generally speaking, PD can work with 360 files but in some cases, they have to be processed by the camera's native app in some way. 360° clips almost always require stitching, which may be difficult/impossible to do cleanly in PD even if the raw format was supported.

Have you searched for other ways to export your clips? This article seems to have a way.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 29. 2019 12:17

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Back2TheBike [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 26, 2019 04:20 Messages: 33 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Generally speaking, PD can work with 360 files but in some cases, they have to be processed by the camera's native app in some way. 360° clips almost always require stitching, which may be difficult/impossible to do cleanly in PD even if the raw format was supported.

Have you searched for other ways to export your clips? This article seems to have a way.

Thanks for your response, and interesting article.

I've since put a little emore work into the subject:

• spoken to GoPro and found my tablet's processor is too slow for 360 processing with their app.

• loaded the Gopro Max Exporter app on my Windows 10 PC (involved a major Win 10 update by the way!)

The Exporter app allows you to convert Gorpro .360 files into 360 MP4 files. If these are imported into PD15, then dragged onto the timeline. A pop up dialgue offers you 2 options, edit as a 360 VR type film or 'flatten' it into a 2D 16:9 format. Am playing with this and it seems to work quite well.