Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Time is in short supply - help needed
AlphaZeroOne [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 22, 2019 13:19 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
I have recently made friends with a rather elderly and frail couple who have spent many years visiting South Africa. During their trips each year, they took a great many (hundreds) of video clips of their travels and the african wildlife. However, due to their lack of skills, they have been unable to edit or organise their clips in shape or form and feared that they might lose the precious memories of the time spent together. Having discovered this, I have offered to work on the clips and put them into a series of auto-running DVDs so they can just pop one into their DVD player at home and enjoy seeing their time together. Both have been seriously ill recently and although they have been able to bounce back again,, I am concerned that I wont be able to finish their project in time. Although I have been able to use PowerDirector in a simple manner to put all the clips together, I have yet to figure out how to write them to DVD disc that are auto-running productions. I know that the couple have one of those portable DVD players and all that I want is for them to be able to pop one of the 10 DVD discs that I have produced, into their DVD player and for it to auto-run without any need for them to worry about accessing files and download codecs etc. I have tried several of the disc writting formates in PowerDirestor 365 but can't seem to produce a self-running DVD. Clearly I'm missing something as this, in theory, is a simple task. As time is of the essence, I would really appreciate any advice to help me complete the final stages of the project. I have arranged to visit the couple in a week of so and so I would dearly love to be able to hand them the DVDs of memeories so that they can enjoy seeing them together, with their families. Thanks in anticipation.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 25. 2019 23:16

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
In the create disc module / menu preferences/ select no menu to create the autoplay dvd.
AlphaZeroOne [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote In the create disc module / menu preferences/ select no menu to create the autoplay dvd.

Thanks for taking the time to reply Tomasc. I have removed the menu option a tried to write an auto disc following your advice. Unfortunately I have the same results: The following file structure written to disc - Video_ts.bup (several .bup files) and vts_01.0 files (several). On clicking on these, it just results in windows media opening and trying to play music files. So it obvious that I'm still not performing the basics. Any thoughts would be welcome. Thanks again.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 26. 2019 03:50

AshWilliams [Avatar]
Member Location: Michigan Joined: Mar 28, 2013 23:38 Messages: 109 Offline
[Post New]
From what I remember (I don't burn discs anymore), you do need a disc menu. But you have to go into playback mode settings and select the menu timeout option. You can see it on this help page:

https://help.cyberlink.com/stat/help/powerdirector/18/enu/20_03_04_setting_disc_playback.htm

Ash
AlphaZeroOne [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote From what I remember (I don't burn discs anymore), you do need a disc menu. But you have to go into playback mode settings and select the menu timeout option. You can see it on this help page:

https://help.cyberlink.com/stat/help/powerdirector/18/enu/20_03_04_setting_disc_playback.htm

Ash

Hi Ash. Thanks also for your advice. I have written to serveral more DVD discs since and they are still not auto-running. However, I have just inserted one in my old Apple MacBook and it loads and runs just fine. This has left me wondering if the inability to auto run is actually more of a Windows 10 issue. Any thoughts?
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
I repeat Tomasc's input...you do NOT NEED a menu at all, the no-menu disc will autoplay.
Maybe updat your optical drive's firmware, clean the lens, even lightly blow air into it, it sounds like a burner issue, maybe. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Autoplay is disabled in windows 10 later versions or updates for security reasons like possible viruses but one could enable it in the settings say if the win 10 dvd player is purchased. Here is another way to enable it if desired: https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000130.htm .

The question was answered for the couple's standalone dvd player not for their computer. Hope this helps...
AlphaZeroOne [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Autoplay is disabled in windows 10 later versions or updates for security reasons like possible viruses but one could enable it in the settings say if the win 10 dvd player is purchased. Here is another way to enable it if desired: https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000130.htm .

The question was answered for the couple's standalone dvd player not for their computer. Hope this helps...

Thanks everyone for your comments and feedback. It turns out that this is a Windows 10 issue after all. It would have helped if Windows 10 would have at least displayed some sort of error message, but it doesn't. I have download a free DVD player and the discs now auto-play and so I'm assuming that that will also be the case when they are inserted into the couples standalone DVD player. Thanks so much for the help as this was a very important project for two elderly folk.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 26. 2019 13:21