Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Will PD18's SVRT work with .mkv containers?
pmikep [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Nov 26, 2016 22:51 Messages: 285 Offline
[Post New]
I primarily use PD to trim out the front and back of movies streamed to my computer. In the past I have captured to mp4 and PD flies through simple trims using SVRT.

But my external hard drive of movies is getting full and, with a newer, faster computer, I've started doing screen captures in x.265.

When I set it to capture in x.265, it automatically assigns an .mkv container to the video. (I found a workaround in Advance settings, so I've solved my problem for now. But will ask this question anyway.)

The x.265 file plays fine on PD15, and Intelligent SVRT offers a Profile. But PD15 won't use SVRT for .mkv. It re-encodes. (Albeit using Hardware Acceleration. But that's 20 minutes for a 1.5 hour Noir movie.)

Will PD use SVRT on .mkv containers?

(In the meantime, I set my screen capture program to use FFmpeg and nvenc hevc to encode. It essentially encodes using x.265 and puts it in an mp4 container. PD15 is okay with that, and zips through the video using SVRT.)
AshWilliams [Avatar]
Member Location: Michigan Joined: Mar 28, 2013 23:38 Messages: 109 Offline
[Post New]
It's not the MKV container that is causing your lack of SVRT, it is because you are selecting H.265 format. SVRT is only available for MPEG-2 and H.264 files:

https://help.cyberlink.com/stat/help/powerdirector/18/enu/98_02_00_svrt_when.htm

Ash

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 26. 2019 04:10

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote It's not the MKV container that is causing your lack of SVRT, it is because you are selecting H.265 format. SVRT is only available for MPEG-2 and H.264 files:

https://help.cyberlink.com/stat/help/powerdirector/18/enu/98_02_00_svrt_when.htm

Ash

SVRT for H.265 was released new in PD14, https://www.cyberlink.com/support/faq-content.do?id=18607

pmikep, produce a H.265 mkv file in your PD15 and use that in the timeline and see if SVRT works with mkv container, it should, mine does.

I suspect something unique about your mkv file that PD does not think is SVRT compliant for some reason. Could be as simple as x.265 in mkv container creates a video profile that's not compliant vs H.265 in mkv. Interrogate the x.265 mkv file and see if some unique properties, bit depth,....so on.

Jeff
pmikep [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Nov 26, 2016 22:51 Messages: 285 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for the replies.

I was able to get SVRT to work once with a .mkv. But curiiously it "transformed" the .mkv into a .m2ts container!

Also, I made a test .mkv using QuickSync and using NVENC. Only one of them worked with SVRT in PD15. (I forget which one. (They weren't identical, in that the defaults for QS were 3 ref frames, whereas NVENC had 4.))

For now my workaround of tricking OBS (really FFmpeg) to put an NVENC HEVC encode in a .mp4 container is working fine. I can record a movie, OBS does the "heavy lifting" of compressing it (hardly uses any resources) and PD trims in it about a minute.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I was able to get SVRT to work once with a .mkv. But curiiously it "transformed" the .mkv into a .m2ts container!

Yes, was a known SVRT issue. Just change m2ts back to mkv and SVRT in PD15 should still work. Mine works with mkv created with PD CPU encoding or NVENC hardware encoding. That container suggestion anomaly was corrected in latter versions.

Jeff