Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How can I revert to the previous version?
Ikonographics [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 30, 2019 09:06 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
I just updated and now I can't do my work because it is so ridiculously slow! I can't scroll through the video to the frame I want because the image doesn't move although it scrolls through the audio.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 21. 2019 15:02

Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I just updated and now I can't do my work because it is so ridiculously slow! I can't scroll through the video to the frame I want because the image doesn't move although it scrolls through the audio.
It depends on what version of Powerdirector you have, You did not give any information. No way for anybody to give you an good answer. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Ikonographics [Avatar]
[Post New]
It depends on what version of Powerdirector you have, You did not give any information. No way for anybody to give you an good answer.

The latest version of 365
[Post New]

The latest version of 365

The only way to use PowerDirector in any way that remains predictable and stable is to buy a perpetual license for a solid version. Dump 360. v16 (fully patched with HA turned off) is rock solid on every system I've ever installed it on. 17 mysteriously got notably slower, but still solid. I purchased v18 but I have absolutely no reason whatsoever to install it, and the last thing in the world I want is for it to automatically install itself through 365.

Bonus: Once you pay for a solid version with perpetual license, you don't keep having to pay for it. Nor are you "getting charged to be a perpetual beta tester" for the new versions they push out through 365.
Ikonographics [Avatar]
[Post New]

The only way to use PowerDirector in any way that remains predictable and stable is to buy a perpetual license for a solid version. Dump 360. v16 (fully patched with HA turned off) is rock solid on every system I've ever installed it on. 17 mysteriously got notably slower, but still solid. I purchased v18 but I have absolutely no reason whatsoever to install it, and the last thing in the world I want is for it to automatically install itself through 365.

Bonus: Once you pay for a solid version with perpetual license, you don't keep having to pay for it. Nor are you "getting charged to be a perpetual beta tester" for the new versions they push out through 365.

When was v. 18 last updated? I wouldn't want to buy it now and find I have exactly the same problem and still can't do my work. At the moment I'm going to be forced to use a prehistoric version of Filmora to edit my video!
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote The only way to use PowerDirector in any way that remains predictable and stable is to buy a perpetual license for a solid version. Dump 360. v16 (fully patched with HA turned off) is rock solid on every system I've ever installed it on. 17 mysteriously got notably slower, but still solid. I purchased v18 but I have absolutely no reason whatsoever to install it, and the last thing in the world I want is for it to automatically install itself through 365.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but each of your statements is entirely subjective (with the exception of not having to keep paying, although there actually is a cost there when technology changes)*

There are always issues with complex software, and I'm among the first to post here whenever I find a bug in the hope that CL will quickly address it so that everyone can focus on editing.

With the subscription version, issues are likely going to be fixed in the next patch (and there have been 2 so far), but the perpetual version of PD18 is only getting its first patch now. CL seems to be prioritizing 365 support more now, as evidenced by this new component under the "?" menu in 18.1.2405.0:

Meanwhile, PD16 is already at the end of active support, and may or may not get any additional patches, no matter how severe any new issue might be. That may be OK for you because it's "rock solid," except that you can't use HA for some reason. That's a deal killer for many people, so it's good that you aren't terribly impacted.

*The thing to remember is that any software version that stops being actively supported is also vulnerable to outside factors, like when nVidia changed their driver architecture, when Intel introduced their DCH drivers for Win10, and when YouTube changed their upload API. There is then a cost to either update PD, opt out of all future OS/driver updates, or change your workflow to deal with the new environment

I don't think there were many forum reports of PD17 mysteriously slowing down (unless you're referring to this thread, or a more general issue with some people having to lower the preview resolution, which isn't PD17-specific). I'm not saying that you couldn't possibly have experienced slower performance, only that your experience likely wasn't universal.

On the other hand, PD 18 had a rough roll-out, with some people unable to even run it after upgrading. Even though the majority of users didn't experience anything crippling like that, if you were affected, it was absolutely terrible and there was no quick/easy way to proceed, other than to contact CL for a link to restore PD17 (or to revert to a system image made before updating, if you had thought to create one).

One last thought is that sticking with a perpetual license is a perfectly fine philosophy, but it doesn't actually keep you from being a beta tester. Instead, due to the limited period of active support, there are a correspondingly limited number of potential beta test opportunities (aka patches), and at some point they will end entirely.

In summary (TL;DR), there are pros and cons to both the perpetual license and subscription versions, and I don't think there's any blanket statement about one being "better" than the other that would apply to everyone in every situation. I hope that looking at the details and thinking about everything listed in this thread will help people decide which approach is best for them.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Skycaptin5 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 22, 2019 18:54 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
So, is there a way to revert? I'm on 365 and my render speed has been "doubled" on anything I've tried to render. This is ridiculous as it ruins my work production and flow. Specs, i9 9900k RTX 2080Ti 32GB

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 22. 2019 19:04

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote So, is there a way to revert? I'm on 365 and my render speed has been "doubled" on anything I've tried to render. This is ridiculous as it ruins my work production and flow. Specs, i9 9900k RTX 2080Ti 32GB

Are you talking about going back to v18.0.2204, the version that was active up until just a couple of days ago, or all the way back to PD17?

If it's the last version of PD18 and you happen to have made a system image before the update came through, just revert to that and don't upgrade using the App Manager. If you don't have a system image, or if you want to go back to PD17, you'll need to contact tech support to get a download link.

I'm not seeing any significant difference in producing times. I just ran a test of producing a 3 hour project with the last 2 PD18 versions, and you can see that at the 5 minute mark, v18.0.2204 had processed 5 seconds more of the timeline than v18.1.2405 had at the same point, which is a difference of 3%. There's a similar difference in the time remaining, but nowhere close to taking twice as long:

You may want to run the GPU test again to see if that makes a difference:

Skycaptin5 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 22, 2019 18:54 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]

Are you talking about going back to v18.0.2204, the version that was active up until just a couple of days ago, or all the way back to PD17?

If it's the last version of PD18 and you happen to have made a system image before the update came through, just revert to that and don't upgrade using the App Manager. If you don't have a system image, or if you want to go back to PD17, you'll need to contact tech support to get a download link.

I'm not seeing any significant difference in producing times. I just ran a test of producing a 3 hour project with the last 2 PD18 versions, and you can see that at the 5 minute mark, v18.0.2204 had processed 5 seconds more of the timeline than v18.1.2405 had at the same point, which is a difference of 3%. There's a similar difference in the time remaining, but nowhere close to taking twice as long:

You may want to run the GPU test again to see if that makes a difference:

Whichever version was from a few days ago, I upgraded yesterday (rendering video atm so can't check version), rendered some videos and the time has indeed doubled. I ran the GPU test earlier, same speeds. Updated drivers, ran GPU test again, same speeds. I don't have an image, but I do have a system restore point so that may fix this for me as it's indicating the old version as a restore option. Just frustrating as I'm trying to get my work done ahead of the holidays, and I'm like, oh an update, awesome. Then this and it's like, sigh.

Update: wasn't able to revert...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 23. 2019 16:41

Games for you [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 22, 2018 22:36 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Since the last update the program with SVRT 5 renders as slow as if it wasn't active.
Videos suddenly take an infinite amount of time to render, which is really not nice. Previously about 5 minutes for a video now 30 minutes both times with SVRT5 technology?
There is a 100% bug in the program.
TDK1044 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Apr 11, 2019 12:27 Messages: 130 Offline
[Post New]
I would make a couple of statements here. The first is that if the software version that you have works fine for you, then don't update just for the sake of having the newest version. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Wait four or five months until some substantial patches are out there. I only ever purchase the stand alone version of software like this. I still have the fully patched and stable PD17 Ultimate on my system. I purchased PD 18 Ultimate knowing that the reviews were good, and that I had PD 17 sitting there if there were issues. By purchasing the latest 365 version of the PD software now, you're rolling the dice big time in my opinion. It really feels like a Beta product. Yes, CL are working on patches, but this rollout has been anything but successful. My advice for those wanting the latest 365 version, is to wait another couple of months so that additional patches are released. It will eventually be a great product, but it's not there yet.
optodata
[Post New]
Quote Since the last update the program with SVRT 5 renders as slow as if it wasn't active.
Videos suddenly take an infinite amount of time to render, which is really not nice. Previously about 5 minutes for a video now 30 minutes both times with SVRT5 technology?

If you would be willing to share the original clips or even the entire project, it would be easy for other people to see what happens when they try to produce using SVRT on their systems.

To do that, please go to File, Pack Project Materials and save everything to a cloud folder (Google Drive, DropBox, OneDrive, etc.) and paste the link to it here.

You should also follow the steps in the Read Me Before Posting sticky thread and attach the DxDiag results to your reply. You'll need to do that if you report the issue to CL, so you might as well get that taken care of now and we can try and help.
Games for you [Avatar]
[Post New]
Merry Christmas in advance.

First of all a small excuse for the bad English but I am already an older German semester and have texts translated by Deepl.

Okay I hope I have all the important files there.

In the zip folder are some screens, the pds and the mrk file. I record the whole thing with Screenrecorder 4.
On one screen you can see that the video took 38 minutes to render and that with SVRT5 enabled, before the patch it took only about 5 minutes to render, if you look at the details of the video there is no need to render, just like before the patch, but it renders normally as if SVRT5 is not active but 100% enabled.

There are also two pictures where you can see the render settings I choose.

I had rendered a video before the patch and it was running very fast, then I saw that there was an update and it was installed, then I rendered a new video and was surprised about the sluggishness. Nothing was changed on the computer in the few minutes. I already tried to uninstall and reinstall it but no change.

DxDiag is also included.

Here the link to the video that was used there
https://games-for-you.net/dateien/cyperlink/20191225120311.mp4

Here the link to pictures and the project file etc.
https://games-for-you.net/dateien/cyperlink/cyperlink-dateien.zip

If something is still missing just let me know.

mfg

Michael
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Since the last update the program with SVRT 5 renders as slow as if it wasn't active. Videos suddenly take an infinite amount of time to render, which is really not nice. Previously about 5 minutes for a video now 30 minutes both times with SVRT5 technology?

Games for you, yes, for your particular case, SVRT has been broken for file 20191225120311.mp4 in PD18 v2405 and appears to be a bug that was not present previously.

Jeff

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 27. 2019 09:13

Games for you [Avatar]
[Post New]
As I said I record with Screenrekorder 4 and yesterday I had 3 videos and all 3 show the behavior when rendering that it is too slow.
I will test Bandicam on the next recording to see if the error occurs.
But it's no fun anymore, especially the fast rendering was a reason for me to switch to the subscription version, because Camtasia is even slower.
optodata
[Post New]
Quote As I said I record with Screenrekorder 4 and yesterday I had 3 videos and all 3 show the behavior when rendering that it is too slow.
I will test Bandicam on the next recording to see if the error occurs.
But it's no fun anymore, especially the fast rendering was a reason for me to switch to the subscription version, because Camtasia is even slower.

You should report this to tech support from this webpage, or from the Priority Support option under the "?" if you have PD 365. Please include the URL of this thread in your first message so they can see what's happening here, and include the ticket number (starting with CS) in your forum reply to close the loop.

The good(?) news is that the issue occurs with any recording from Screen Recorder2 or 4, so it's very easy to verify, and they won't have to spend half an hour downloading your clip from that slow server. (I have 1Gbps connection, but the file transferred at only 40Mbps)

In the newest release of PD365, I let the project run on SVRT for 6 minutes and it still had about 17 more minutes to go. In the previous version (18.0.2204), it finished in just over 2 min:

Games for you [Avatar]
[Post New]

You should report this to tech support from this webpage, or from the Priority Support option under the "?" if you have PD 365. Please include the URL of this thread in your first message so they can see what's happening here, and include the ticket number (starting with CS) in your forum reply to close the loop.

Here they are : Auftrags-ID: CS002094677

a happy new year and thanks for your effort
Games for you [Avatar]
[Post New]
Here is the answer today from the support:

Hello,

we were able to reproduce the described behaviour.

This case was forwarded to our software development department for further investigation. We thank you for your report.
As a workaround, you can use the hardware encoder option in the PowerDirector Production Room to speed up rendering. This
might be a possible solution.

mfg