Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Graphics card
VaMa [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 23, 2012 15:56 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, I think about upgrade my PowerDirector to version 18 Ultimate and with this I want to improve current hardware. It is especially new monitor Benq PD2700U (IPS, 27 inch, 4k, 10 bit, 100% sRGB, support HDR 10,...). I will use it for CAD/CAM job, video and photo editing, no games. With PowerDirector I would like to edit 4k videos (25 or 50 fps, 8 bit, 4:2:0, h264 from Panasonic G9). Next step in editing video will be process 10 bit, 4:2:2 records in format, which PD18 supports. Have you any experiences with this monitor and my main question is, what graphics card to choose for this job and what card supports 10 bit processing. For my CAM software I need card with nVidia chipset. Many thanks for your recommendation and knowledges.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
I can be reasonbly sure that any monitor that works well for CAD/CAM software would work well with Video Editing, The important factor for video editing is speed of the computer, just about any graphics card can be used for video editing. Good specs for the video card (speed and Ram) will work well for video editing. If your primary focus is CAD/CAM, build the system around those specs.

Computer specs for Powerdirector 18:

https://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector-video-editing-software/specs_en_US.html

I bet any compter that works for powerdirector 18 would also work well for CAD/CAM.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 15. 2019 08:14

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

[Post New]
First of all, for 4K 10bit HDR you need a connection via Display Port.
HDMI 2.0 cannot support in RBG mode that high of bandwidth (only in reduced bandwidth Y′CbCr 4:2:2) and video cards with HDMI 2.1... are not out yet. Your CAD/CAM software works better with RGB output.

So your card has to offer that DP output. And the monitor should have that input too. In DP 1.4a version as minimum.
Also, for CAD/CAM software, usually the software producer recommends Quadro cards. I did run som etests on my production workstations (AutoCAD and Revit) and even if on paper the GeForce cards were perfect to use... they were not as fast as a "lowly" Quadro. Everyone keeps saying that they should be better, but testing shows something else.
Crippled drivers? Don't know...
A Quadro P620 works wonders in my Autodesk software on a 4K 10 bit monitor. I also have a GTX1080 in the same PC case, so I can switch to it for some gaming, but in Autodesk I use the Quadro.

For editing with PowerDirector you don't need super expensive cards, because the hardware decoder/encoder is mostly the same in a given generation of cards.
See this matrix that shows the capabilities of various cards: https://developer.nvidia.com/video-encode-decode-gpu-support-matrix
Personally I would look into GeForce GTX 1660 just to use with PowerDirector. But I am not sure what is your CAD/CAm software supporting.

Depending on your actual software needs, maybe the best option is a Quardo RTX 4000. It's about $880 now, on sale (newegg or Amazon).
It's video decoder/encoder has all the possible codecs for video editing.

Lastly... why you are taking videos at 25 and 50Hz? All the modern TV's are just big tablets, like a phone or like a PC monitor. The native frequency for this age is 60Hz. There is no more analog TV, no more PAL, NTSC or SECAM... Why still keep that convention?

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Dec 15. 2019 19:12

pmikep [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Nov 26, 2016 22:51 Messages: 285 Offline
[Post New]
Quote See this matrix that shows the capabilities of various cards: https://developer.nvidia.com/video-encode-decode-gpu-support-matrix
Personally I would look into GeForce GTX 1660 just to use with PowerDirector. But I am not sure what is your CAD/CAm software supporting.

The matix doesn't show the GTX-1650 Super yet. But if you scroll down on this link, https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/graphics-cards/gtx-1650-super/ , you'll see that the 1650 Super now has the Turing encoder.

So the same encoder as the 1660 for less money.
[Post New]
I would be warry... for example the lower end GT1030 has the encoder disabled, and only the decoder is enabled.

Like I said, all those gaming cards are not working well with the CAD/CAM software.
Might be by design, don't know... so it's up to the OP to get informed what is supported best by his software.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 16. 2019 07:57

VaMa [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 23, 2012 15:56 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you friends for all your posts. For my CAD/CAM sw is recomended profesional Quadro card, but I have experince, that works with GeForce too. On my old computer I used on board HD Grapics 530 and it was also usable. With new 4k monitor I am finding solution for balancing work with photo, video editing and CAD CAM (I believe, it will be OK ). Especially in photo editing I would like to take advantages of 10 bit color depth of my monitor and my info was, that only expensive Quadro cards support 10 bit colors. Today I found link https://www.videomaker.com/news/nvidia-geforce-rtx-cards-now-support-10-bit-color-in-adobe, where is 10 bit support confirmed for RTX cards (Adobe SW). This give me possibility to buy for example GeForce RTX 2060. But I don't know what will be support in PowerDirector for 10 bit colors with RTX cards. Thank you SoNic67 for detailed information. And why 25, 50 Hz video? It's PAL convection and my inertia of thought. You are right, this is kick for me to change it...

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at Dec 17. 2019 01:44

[Post New]
If you buy an RTX2060 vesus a Quadro RTX 4000 you are saving $400 but you are opening yourself for a variety of issues. In order to have 10 bit colors you will have to use the "Studio" drivers.
Is no telling how those will play with CAD/CAM or other apps. I didn't tested those Studio drivers on my GTX1080, I saw them available for 10 series too...

PS: If you said that the Intel video was OK for yoru CAD/CAm it means... that you really don't use those at the fullest potential. Revit in a production environment will absolutelly crush the Intel GPU.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 18. 2019 04:10