Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Creating a mask with out the extra space and background
[Post New]
Hello,

I was trying the motion tracker with an image.

The image was cropped than mask put over it.

I think added it as a tracker.

While it tracks well, the imsage still retains the back area not in the mask.

Any way to make the black area transparent so it layers in with the video?
[Thumb - SnapShotMaskVideohelp.jpg]
 Filename
SnapShotMaskVideohelp.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
remove black area from a mask
 Filesize
150 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
5 time(s)
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
You have to create the transparent .PNG image outside of PD first.

GIMP and Paint.net are great free programs that will let you do that, and then you can import the image into the Motion Tracker tool and it will work the way you want:

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
[Post New]
Thank you very much!!!
I have GIMP and Paint.net. I assume it will say 'create a transparent .png'? Yes, I am not an expert in this stuff.
Btw, will PhotoDirector do the same thing - create transparent .pngs?

Luna vs a sock - nice!!

That is quite the specc'd out system you have!! Wow!

Quote You have to create the transparent .PNG image outside of PD first.

GIMP and Paint.net are great free programs that will let you do that, and then you can import the image into the Motion Tracker tool and it will work the way you want:

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 07. 2019 10:56

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Yeah, this PC was built especially to be my main editing machine. Here's a quick article on the steps needed to create a transparent image on GIMP. A simple internet search will turn up more links (for GIMP and/or Paint.net), if needed.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
[Post New]
Hmmm...

It is not working so well. I have managed to select the areas I do not want and delete them, but the area is now white

So the white areas not show up instead of being transparent - covering up the video.

I used: https://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Transparent-Image-Using-Gimp
Method 2

Thoughts?

Thanks
V

Quote Yeah, this PC was built especially to be my main editing machine. Here's a quick article on the steps needed to create a transparent image on GIMP. A simple internet search will turn up more links (for GIMP and/or Paint.net), if needed.
[Thumb - movieview.png]
 Filename
movieview.png
[Disk]
 Description
movie still shows the background but not white, not transparent
 Filesize
323 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
4 time(s)
[Thumb - removebackground.png]
 Filename
removebackground.png
[Disk]
 Description
Image using transparent layer and deleting unwanted areas
 Filesize
1435 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
3 time(s)
Philwild [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Hemel Hempstead, UK Joined: Oct 05, 2017 12:04 Messages: 208 Offline
[Post New]
One way to deal with the white background would be to use Chroma Key PowerDirector.

Designer>PIp designer>Choma Key and use the dropper to pick the white colour.

It looks like your original picture had a complex background, so a better approach would be to select the people and copy them to a blank document (I'm assuming that this is possible in GIMP, as I've never used it). Then export that as a png. If the background is still white you may be able to create a mask in GIMP or use the Chroma Key method in PowerDirector.