Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD365 FX preview issue
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I found this when replying to a recent post. If I place an effect on the FX track below a clip, the preview changes depending on whether the clip or the FX is selected. This video clearly shows the issue:

The test project can be downloaded from here, and I'm wondering if anyone with PD18 or PD 365 could check to see if the same thing occurs. I will report this to CL if other people can confirm.

Note that the test project uses 2 NewBlue FX, which are from the Video Essentials VII and Essential Effect 2 packs. I also used the standard PD Gamma Corrector, so testing can be done without any NBFX packs installed.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
StevenG [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Jan 14, 2014 14:04 Messages: 513 Offline
[Post New]
Notice on the Preview window that you have Clip selected rather than Movie. This means that you're previewing the clip itself. Since the effect is on a separate "adjustment" track, previewing the Clip will show you the clip without the effect applied. (The same thing would happen if you placed a title on an upper video track. When you preview the Clip you will not see the title.)

Switching your preview to Movie will display your movie's playback with effects and overlays applied.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for the reply, but that's not what's happening. If you download the project and try it on your computer, you'll see that selecting Clip or Movie has no impact on the issue.

You would also see that the raw clip looks very different than in any of the YT video views, because the 3 different FX actually are being applied every time I move the scrubber. However, the preview differs noticeably depending on whether I click on the clip or the FX.

I've attached a full size screenshot of the raw clip, which is fairly overexposed, and the preview doesn't ever look like that in the video.
[Thumb - raw clip.png]
 Filename
raw clip.png
[Disk]
 Description
screenshot of the raw source clip
 Filesize
375 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
58 time(s)

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Maybe someone can download optodata’s project and confirm the issue in PD18. I have never seen this in all the versions of PD that I have used. Here is a screen recording of the sample video and images in PD12 with the same NB Gamma Corrector, NB Shadows and Highlight, Gamma Correction on the fx track. Set at least one of the sliders in each fx all the way to the left so one can see the effect when highlighting the asset on track 1 or the fx on the fx track. See the attached screen recording. At 5 seconds into the video you can see that clicking the movie mode makes no difference. This looks like either an issue or a new feature in PD18.

Hopefully a PD18 user who uses fx will check it out and post what they found.
 Filename
20191121181257.mp4
[Disk]
 Description
No difference seen whether the asset or the fx is highlighted in earlier PD versions.
 Filesize
1584 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
811 time(s)
optodata
[Post New]
I've reported the issue on ticket CS002079882, and I'll post back once I hear back from tech support.

YouTube/optodata

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
I can't replicate the issue with my perpetual PD18 v2028. I thought optodata had a 4K display so I tried that with Ultra HD timeline and also a HD timeline as well as 1080 display and HD timeline and all appear ok.

I don't have the middle FX used so I get the FX applied view clicking either the clip or the first FX area, washed out native view for clip where second FX was, and then the 3rd FX effect regardless if I click the clip or the FX in that area.

All looks normal for me with my settings.

Jeff
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi optodata & gang -

Sorry - I can't replicate that either using optodata's project or other media & different effects.

My first guess about this being another 365/perpetual "issue" was completely wrong. Here in both versions, selecting the media or the FX makes no difference (as shown in optodata's screen cap)... and that occurs using PDR18 [perpetual - 2028] or the 365 [2204] version.

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 22. 2019 20:18

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
optodata - can you confirm that your uploaded project settings were fx NB Gamma corrector: 188/90 and fx Gamma correction: 18. Maybe the settings need to be set way off like in my test to be able to detect a difference in PD18.
optodata
[Post New]
Thank you all for posting. The video was recorded using my RTX2070, but it's the same when I run off my Intel UHD Graphics 630.

If I run the test project on my Surface Pro 3, I only see very subtle changes, and only when I change from the FX-selected view to the clip-selected view, I honestly don't think I'd have even noticed anything if I'd been working on that machine.

Tomasc, those are the correct settings, but it doesn't seem like the specific FX is all that important. I've tried a bunch of standard ones at their default settings: Glow, Ripple, Magnifier, Pen Ink, TV Wall. All of them have a noticeably different brightness/luminance on my desktop PC, depending on whether the clip or the separate FX is selected.

Jeff, I don't have any 4K monitors (just 2 HD ones), but you hit on something with the Preview Quailty. The video was recorded with the quality set to HD, and if I set it up to UHD, the issue almost completely disappears. It's as bad, or a little worse, than the video on High, Normal and Low - so it seems like the preview resolution plays a role, along with the specific timeline item that's selected.

That statement is true on my desktop when using either nVidia or Intel HW, while on my SP3 (with only an Intel iGPU), the preview resolution doesn't make any real difference. As far as I can tell, it looks like higher preview settings can reduce the impact if the issue is noticeable, but won't make much difference if the underlying shift is in the subtle-to-nonexistant range, as you guys are reporting.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 22. 2019 22:28

YouTube/optodata

optodata
[Post New]
Here's something I just found: If I set the Timeline preview output color to RGB, the issue goes away. The default setting is YUV, and that's where I see the issue.

YouTube/optodata

optodata
[Post New]
I heard back from Tech Support. They've reproduced the issue and have forwarded it on to engineering for further investigation.

YouTube/optodata

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
I still don't see the same issue on my platform and PD18 v2028 with either RGB or YUV settings. Must be something that uniquely triggers it, maybe like display output color format or dynamic range. Glad CL Tech Support was able to replicate, which means a solution is imminent.

Jeff
optodata
[Post New]
CL has reponded that they've been able to confirm this issue, and have now escalated it to their engineering team.

YouTube/optodata